Fat Deposits on Forehead

I just saw a doctor who said I have "Adipose tissue deposits" on my forehead. These raised fatty deposits are really depressing me and I want them removed. Please give me any type of advice you might have for adipose tissue deposits and how to remove them. I just want a smooth forehead. Can liposuction be used. thanks!!

The fat deposit that you describe on your forehead is a lipoma.  Lipoma’s are benign fat collections that are best treated with local excision.  This procedure is associated with good aesthetic results and high levels of patient satisfaction.  Liposuction isn’t indicated for the treatment of this condition.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Fatty tissue mass of forehead

If you have an isolated fatty deposit on your forehead or scalp, usually direct excision is the way to go.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Fatty forehead

Other than the areas directly beneatht the brow and the area just above the eyelid is the only locale in which I would remove fat.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Forehead fat deposits should be removed surgically not by liposuction

First make sure the lump is in fact a fatty deposit. Then it is best to remove with a small incision. A surgeon accustomed to working on the face will be able to do this very nicely. Liposuction is not the right tool for this for several reasons - including risks, inadequate or uneven removal, and if it is in fact a lipoma (fatty tumor), it will likely regrow unless the capsule is removed.   

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

2012 South Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526

Forehead Lipoma

If the fullness on your forehead is truly fat, it can be removed. I would consider surgery, using a hairline approach so there is no visible scar left on your forehead. I would remove the fatty tissue mass directly by excision rather than liposuction in this particular area. 

Hayley Brown, MD, FACS

10001 South Eastern Ave.
Henderson, NV 89052

Treatment of forehead lipoma.

We do this thru an irregular trchophytic incision that we developed 30 years ago. The hair will grow thru the incision and your hairline can remain the same or lowered if you so desire. This is better than in the hair.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Forehead lipomas (fat deposits) are small and uncommon

Liposuction in the forehead is a hazard and few would ever recommend it. A fat deposit on the forehead or frontal lipoma usually presents as a small soft coin like bump, almost cyst like. They are deep to the forehead muscle and can be simply removed (not with liposuction). Your picture does not look like a fat deposit, though it may be the case, we suggest a study of the area, CT scan perhaps, to confirm what is going on and how to correct it.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Excision is better than liposuction

If this is a Lipoma liposuction will not entirely remove it and you will have an irregular mass . An incision at or behind the hairline can be used to remove the mass. MRI scans would probable help to identify the plane of dissection but more important to help determine what it is.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

1204 5th Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104

Forehead subgaleal lipoma

Most fatty deposits in the forehead are benign submuscular lipomas. It is not necessarily what you have but if that ia confirmed then excision is better than liposuction as some of the lipomas would probably remain after liposuction and have a good chance of enlarging in the future. An excision might be done through a small forehead incision. Or an incision in the scalp which a plastic surgeon might be able to do even endoscopically as forehead lifts can be done but with special removal instruments.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Forehead lipomas are fairly common and require careful evaluation and management.

Forehead lipomas are soft bulges that grow very slowly. I reviewed your photo, and I cannot tell if this is your condition without examining you. When I suspect a forehead lipoma, I will typically order a non-contrast head-CT-scan to confirm the diagnosis, and to check the depth of the lesion.

In my experience, forehead lipomas have been deep to the periosteum (lining of the forehead bone). So surgery may involve going through skin, then fat, then muscle, and then through periosteum to reach the lipoma and dissect it free.

Horizontal forehead incisions have healed favorably, though yours may be larger than most. Care must be taken not to injure the frontal branch of the facial nerve, as that could lead to forehead paralysis. In that regard, you should a consult a reputable facial plastic surgeon familliar with forehead anatomy before proceeding. I have no personal experience with liposuction for this condition.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

1500 Pleasant Valley Way
West Orange, NJ 07052