Will Additional Weight Loss (10lbs) After Lipo of Abs and Flanks Hurt my Results?

I am having lipo of abs and flanks on 2-28-11 and I was wondering if after I recover I want to lose an additional 10lbs would it have a negative effect on my results??

Weight loss after liposuction

Losing weight after liposuction greatly enhances your results.  I encourage all of my liposuction patients to try to lose a few pounds after having liposuction.

Weight loss after liposuction

Weight loss after liposuction won't harm a liposuction result. In fact, most will look better after a loss of 10 pounds if it is warranted. If stubborn weight loss-resistant areas were treated with lipo first, then, weight loss may seem easier. If a pool of fat cells has been eliminated with liposuction, then a calorie burn with a weight loss effort means that those calories have to come from a small pool of remaining fat cells. It does seem to be easier to achieve a noticeable change with your efforts.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Weight loss after lipo

In my experience, additional weight loss after lipo usually improves things rather than make anything worse, so I would not worry about it.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Can I lose 10 Pounds After Liposuction Without Affecting The Result?

Losing 10 Pounds, especially if done slowly (over 2-3 months) should not affect the result of your liposuction, especially if you have normal skin tone.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and additional weight loss after

No, weight loss after liposuction will not ruin a good result, but the most ideal way of undergoing this elective recontouring procedure is to get to your ideal body weight and have liposuction performed on the bulge that just won't leave!

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Wt. loss after lipo

Liposuction removes a proportion of the fat volume from a given region. Weight loss tends to reduce fat cell volume. In our experience, patients who undergo weight loss following their liposuction procedures tend to have a dramatic, pleasing result. I would be all for it.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss After Liposuction

Losing weight after having liposuction can only make your results that much more dramatic. Usually having liposuction procedures encourages my patients to lose more weight. This is because they know they have made a financial investment in their body and want to look and feel as good as they possibly can.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Effects of a 10lb weight loss after liposuction

An additional 10 pound weight loss following your liposuction may improve your result  or have little effect. Of course, this would depend on your present weight. The effect will be much different if you are presently 220 vs 120 pounds. At the higher weight, you will probably not see much of a change but at 120 pounds you will.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Weight Loss Enhances Most Liposuction Results

Additional weight loss after abdominal and flank liposuction will only enhance the results you have already seen. Many patients find it easier to lose a little weight after they have recovered from liposuction and are usually quite motivated to do so.

Additional weight loss after liposuction

Thank you for your question. I generally view liposuction as a means to contour the body. If you are very stable in your weight and specific areas of concern, then liposuction can help you work towards your goal. A consultation/exam would be needed to provide more specifics. On the other hand, if you are looking for liposuction to provide you with weight loss, then this is the wrong reason. Although you may drop a few pounds with liposuction, you can do this much more effectively through a medically managed weight program. In our practice, we do offer pre-surgical weight management options to help our patients achieve a stable and goal weight before embarking on their surgical body contouring goals. It allow for a better and safer overall outcome.  If you lose weight after surgery to the tune of 10lbs, this will not hurt your results and may even help.  A physical exam and surgical plan would help better answer this.