What Activities Are Restricted After Breast Reduction Surgery?

Isn't it good to have some mobility after breast reduction surgery, or any surgery? What would be a good routine to start during the second week of recovery? mild stretching?

Activity after breast reduction surgery

+1

Every surgeon is different with their recommendations for post-op activity.  Ask your doctor what he or she recommends. It also depends on the patient and whatever risk factors they might have, so i individualize all my instructions.  In general, you will want to take it easy for a few days to a week.  After that walking is good and light activity.  Most can exercise 3-4 weeks after surgery, refraining from heavy upper body activity, heavy lifting or running until 5-6 weeks.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Activities after breast reduction surgery

+1

Ultimately, you need to follow the regimen that is recommended to you by your plastic surgeon (if you have one). In general, it is important to ambulate immediately after surgery particularly in order to minimize the risk of clots in the leg. You can engage in non-exertional activities as tolerated. I usually recommend that my patients don't engage in very strenuous activities for approximately 3 weeks. Mild stretching can be done beforehand but should not impact the incisions or breasts in any way.

Web reference: http://www.arizonabreast.com

Activity after breast reduction

+1

To reduce the risk of forming blood clots, I ask patients to walk the evening of surgery.  It is important to move around a bit and go for slow walks the first week, but avoid lifting more than 10 pounds or so and aerobic activity for 2 weeks.   Usually activity is gradually increased from 2-6 weeks, and at 6 weeks patients are back to full activity.   I ask patients to listen to their bodies - if it hurts, back off! 

Postop activity after breast reduction

+1
It is advisable not to exercise upper body for several weeks after surgery. After the first week, walking is fine and patients may resume lower body exercises once the sutures are removed. I recommend that my patients refrain from aerobic exercise and jogging for four weeks postoperatively and to avoid lifting heavy objects. Generally, patients with symptomatic macromastia have experienced exercise intolerance due to the weight of the breasts and the resultant pain pattern so, as for anyone beginning an exercise regimen, they should start slowly and gradually increase activity as they recover and adapt to a change in lifestyle.

Breast Reduction and postoperative activity?

+1

Yes it is important to be "mobile" (ambulate)  after surgery. I encourage patients to walk and practice deep breathing the day of surgery. Mild stretching  is not a problem.  During the second week of recovery patients are encouraged to walk longer distances or use a stationary bike  If they feel up to it.

I asked my patients to avoid heavy lifting and exercises that involve the upper extremities for the first  4 weeks after surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Restricted Activities After Breast Reduction

+1

Periods of various restrictions after breast reductions will vary somewhat among surgeons.  I do encourage my patients to be active soon after surgery in ways that will not adversely affect their result (walking, etc.).  I discourage any activities, on the other hand, that will stress the incisions, etc. for 3-4 weeks.  Very strenuous activities, such as heavy lifting, are discouraged for up to six weeks.

What Activities Are Restricted After Breast Reduction Surgery?Answer:

+1

So sorry to sound really trite but these are exactly the questions you should ask your doctor. Each Physician is different and they are there for you to ask. They work for you and I’m sure would be happy to answer!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon