After A Breast Reduction, Will Weight Gain Come Back To Breasts?

i had a breast reduction when i was 16 years old im now 21 and gained 35lbs since then all of which not in my breast. is it true that after you have this surgery that if you gain weight you will gain it in other place and also im starting a weight loss journey and was wondering will i loss more weight in my now.

Breast size growth after breast reduction

+1
Although breast reduction removes both glandular and fatty tissue, if you gain weight after the operation, your breasts may increase in size. Similarly, if you lose weight, you should see a reduction in the size of the breasts which may be accompanied by ptosis, or sagging, depending on the extent of the decrease and the laxity of your skin. It is not surprising that you gained weight in your late teens. This is one reason why insurance companies are now setting a minimum age of 18 for the procedure. Good luck with the diet.

Weight gain after breast reduction

+1
Both breast tissue and fatty tissue are removed during a breast reduction. After surgery, should you gain weight, the fatty tissue left (and there is always some left) can grow as your body will store the fat in any and all areas it is "accustomed" to. So, yes, your breasts can increase in size with weight gain, even after a reduction.

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Breast size with weight gain

+1

It is true that with significant weight gain there will be an increase in the size of the breast, even after breast reduction. The amount of gain will depend on the fat tissue within the breast which increases with age. With smaller weight fluctuations, 35 pounds you may not notice any differences.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Breast reduction and weight gain and loss

+1

Despite having a breast reduction, your breasts will still be weight sensitive in either direction.  Hopefully you weren't overreduced because I have recently treated 3 patients who had reductions elsewhere 20 years ago and now needed augmentations.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction and Weight Gain?

+1

There are a lot of myths surrounding weight gain and its effects after plastic surgical procedures. Suffice it to say that if you were to gain significant weight your breasts may increase in size again. It is not unusual for patients to request a second breast reduction procedure after their juvenile breast hypertrophy has been treated with an initial breast reduction procedure.

I would recommend maintaining a healthy lifestyle and a stable weight through diet and exercise.