When Will Total FX Swelling Go Down?

I had Total FX (Active FX with Deep FX) done less than 24 hours ago. My eyes are almost completely swollen shut, especially my left eye. It is also bruised. My whole face is swollen. I just need to be reassured if this is normal.

Swelling, itching can last 2-4 days after Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing

+2

Swelling, itching and redness after Fractional CO2 laser is to be expected to last 2-4 days. Taking oral Benadryl is helpful to faciliate resolution of swelling, itching, as well as associated insomnia. While cool or ice compress will definitely help to minimize post-treatment swelling/edema, doing so is to be avoided as it may counteract with the inflammation triggered by Fractional CO2 Laser resurfacing which may be necessary for post-treatment stimulation of collagen production. Ideally, Fractional CO2 Laser resurfacing (ActiveFx, TotalFx, Fraxel Repair, Mixto, etc.) should be done by an experienced board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeons who has done several other patients of your skin type.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after Total FX

+1

It is very normal to have significant swelling around the eyes and mouth for the first 24 to 72 hours after Total FX. Usually by day 4 or 5, the swelling is resolved or very minimal. Bruising can occur if small capillaries in the skin rupture from the laser energy. Avoid excess salt in foods and keeping your head elevated can speed up the healing process as well.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon