Should I Get Active FX and Deep FX Together (Total FX)?

I was going to make an appointment for Active FX today, but it seems like everyone is getting Deep FX with their Active FX now.  Should I get both too?  What's the difference if I get Active FX by itself vs. Deep FX with Active FX?  How much more expensive is it?

ActiveFX + DeepFX = TotalFX

+3

The ActiveFX and DeepFx treatments are both performed with the same machine, called the Lumenis Encore, but they use different handpieces. Both are carbon dioxide laser resurfacing treatments, but the DeepFx goes deeper, so it addresses deeper wrinkles.

DeepFX generally results in more downtime than ActiveFX alone, including redness and swelling. However, if you are already having DeepFX, the addition of ActiveFX treatment at the same time does not appear to increase downtime over DeepFX alone. Keep in mind that it can take months to acheive the final result, as the laser energy stimulates collagen growth which takes time.

Rochester Oculoplastic Surgeon

Active FX and Deep FX together

+3

Active FX is a fractionated carbon dioxide laser, as is Deep FX. There are no published studies to date showing efficacy of one over the other, and the long term differences of one to the other. The Deep FX does go deeper into the dermis to stimulate collagen growth, so it looks better on paper. But this has not been proven in the lab, or with patient results so far.

There are those who say that because of the increased collagen growth with the Deep FX, they get better results with fine lines around the eyes with the Deep FX, but this has not been verified as of yet.

Both work on dyschromias and homogenize the skin to give it a more youthful appearance. The cost difference can be substantial, with Active FX costing as much as twice the cost for the Deep FX.

I use the Active FX in my practice currently, and am waiting for studies to prove the differences for my patients before buying the Deep FX. It is an adjunct to surgery, and should not give the impression that the results will be that of a facelift.

Dan Mills, MD

Active FX with deep FX laser

+2

You will get a more superficial result with Active FX. This will heal in about 4 days. The Deep FX gives a more collagen stimulating result and takes longer to heal about 5-7 days. The combination of the 2 is the home run with the most improvement seen but of course the longer healing time. If you have the time go for it!

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

You should get the Active and Deep FX treatments together

+1

We do bith treatments in the office and do them together. I usually do the DeepFX first to target deeper wrinkles, crepiness on the cheeks and areas of concern such as lines around the mouth or eyes.

The Deep FX goes deeper and helps stimulate collagen so your results will continue to improve. I then usually go over the whole face with the Active FX to help with concerns such as pigment, fine lines and to give he face an overall healthier appearance. By adding the Deep FX to your treatment you will add 2-4 days additional healing, but your results will be better and longer lasting.

Mona Salem Foad, MD
Cincinnati Dermatologist

Active FX vs Deep FX

+1

We use both active and deep FX in our practice. Active FX really is a superficial treatment that is targeting superficial lines and pigmentation. I use deep FX to target moderate depth wrinkles and acne scarring. I often use both together but not always. Like anything in plastic surgery, I tailor the procedure to the patient's need and tolerance for downtime

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Deep FX and Active FX are ideally used together

+1

Active FX can treat the more superficial elements of the skin like superficial wrinkles, pigmentation, and scars. Deep fx stimulates more of the deeper tissue to cause the skin to contract and shrink to increase the tone of the skin and create more collagen within the deeper layers. They can be done together for less downtime and more results.

With just Active FX, you will get more subtle resutls and less down time; when you add Deep FX, you get more tightening while keeping the down time less. Deep FX creates a strong laser that penetrates deeply while Active FX is more superficial with less penetration. Especially for people with darker skin, this modality is ideal!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon