Can Milk Cause Acne?

I have started a weightlifting program and would like to increase the protein in my diet. However, I am 28 with stubborn acne and I have read many things both for and against the fact that milk may be a cause of acne. Is this true? If I avoid milk and drink a whey and/or casein protein shake would this cause or aggravate acne? Thanks, Thor

Milk is not a likely cause of acne

+1

Milk is not a likely cause of acne. Many studies have shown that diet has little effect on acne. The biggest cause of acne in weight lifters is anabolic steroids. Excessive sweating and over heating the skin can also aggravate acne. All athletes should cool the skin often while working out.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Milk does NOT cause Acne

+1

Regarding: "Can Milk Cause Acne?
"

Milk does NOT cause nor does it aggravate acne. I would recommend you entrust your acne to a skilled Dermatologist who would pinpoint and properly treat it. (As an aside, I never considered that the King of all Norse gods could be susceptible to a human condition...)

Dr. Peter Aldea

Sugar has been found to be the culprit

+1

Sugar and simply carbs increase inflammation of the body, especially the skin of patients with acne. Eatting lots of whole grains and complex carbs, eating lots of freash fruits and veggies, and avoiding suger and refines breads may help the most.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Diet and Acne

+1

It is highly unlikely that milk will adversely affect your acne. Dietary factors, in general, are controversial in terms of causes of acne.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon