Does Accutane Treatment Work for Everyone?

I have just completed my 3rd month of Accutane & I got 3 more left, I know I am still half way through the medicine treatment but honestly I don't feel there's much improvement with my skin since I started it. I got severe acne on my cheeks & chin and they are getting more huge and red instead of recovering.. Are there any chances for the medication to not work with some people like myself?

Effectiveness of Accutane treatments

+2

Accutane does not help all people, but it does help approximately 80%, which is an excellent rate of success for a medication.  Proper dosage is important as is testing for any hormonal disorders.  It is also important to take the isotretinoin with food that contains some fat, as its absorption depends on it.  One way to know if enough medication is absorbed is dryness of the lips, nose, skin.  If those are not getting more dry, the medication is not properly absorbed or the dosage is not sufficient.

Patients with hormonal disorders such as polycystic ovary syndrome respond less well than patients with normal hormonal status.

Eliminating dairy and high glycemic index carbohydrates from diet helps with all acne treatments.

Also, some patients with very severe acne require additional medications to calm down the inflammation.  Please discuss this with your dermatologist.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Accutane Cure Everyone's Acne?

+1

Accutane is effective for most males and the majority of females.  But remember, no medication will work 100% of the time for everyone.

The reason that women's acne is more difficult to treat with Accutane is that women have hormones that trigger acne.  If the hormonal stimulation is very strong, the acne will only partially respond to the medication.

Also your dosage will affect the result.   Take your medication with a meal to enhance its absorption so that it will be most effective. 

Dermatologist have a lot of experience with this medication, so call your doctor if you are frustrated.

Christina Steil, MD
Chicago Dermatologist