How Long Should I Take 20mg Accutane to Treat my Current Condition of Cystic Acne ? (photo)

My dermatologist put me in a therapy of accutane about 5 months back , Most of the acne in my body cleared. But after those 5 months my acne is starting to reappear in my face . Its not that severe but still its there . So he put in in 20 mg accutane therapy for about 3 months . So I would like to know if the dose is right or should i increase or decrease the dose and the duration of therapy .

Proper Dose for Accutane

+2

Most derms prescribe Accutane 1mg/kg/day for five months. Stop after that and watch a few months or longer to see what happens. 

Twenty percent of people need a second full five months of Accutane. Same dose.

In my many years of experience with Accutane, it seems that twenty mg per day is unlikely to give lasting results.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Accutane dosage

+1

First, if you have any questions about your dosage I would always suggest you ask your prescribing physician for his thoughts and plans. I would say for the average patient I have, most are on an Accutane regimen for at least 6-12 months, beginning with 20mg/day for the first 2-4 months and then upping to 40mg a day. But in no way should you be changing or altering your dosage without consulting your physician first.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD