Can Accutane Be Stopped Before a Trip and Restarted After to Avoid Sun Sensitivity?

14yr old has been on accutane for 1 month (30mg) and will be traveling in 60 days to the carribean.Can he stop taking the Accutane prior and restart when we return? We want to reduce sensitivty to sun. It wil be difficult to keep him in the shade as he is extremly active.Shouls it be stopped a few weeks before?

Stopping Accutane While On Vacation

+1

Yes, you can discontinue and restart for a short period of time while on vacation to reduce sun sensitivity. However, you may get an acne flare. I usually recommend to my patients that we lower the dose to 10 mg and then increase back to the full dose when they return. Either way, you should be "Sun Smart" and minimize sun exposure while on vacation. Accutane has a serum half life of 21 hours but can stay in the system for several days to weeks depending on its break down by the liver.

Austin Dermatologist

Stopping Accutane due to sun sensitivity

+1

Yes, Accutane can be stopped for a bit for a vacation or something. I'd consult the physician who put him on the Accutane though because he might want to change the dosage a bit when he gets back, and he may want him to use a topical medication or some other medication while on his vacation to avoid any loss of progress.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD