Accutane and Hair Loss

I heard hair loss is a possible side effect that can happen from accutane or roaccutane.  is that true?  any way to know if I'll probably end up with hair loss if I start accutane?

Temporary hair loss possible on Accutane

+4

What you heard was correct... it is possible to have a slight degree of hair loss when taking Accutane. However:

1. This does not usually happen unless the dose goes really high
  2. When it does happen, it's usually not loss of hair in patches or over the entire scalp, but only slight thinning
  3. When the medication is stopped, hair growth usually returns to normal

What occurs more often than hair thinning or mild loss is dryness of the skin, lips, eyes, and nose. This is an expected side effect, but one that can be managed. Don't let the fear of hair loss stop you from Accutane if you need it for scarring acne.

Be well,

Dr. P

Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Accutane and Hairloss

+4

Hair loss is a rare possible side effect from Accutane.  I have seen a few cases of this effect.  Even hair loss with accutane seems to be dose-related and in the few cases I have seen, the hair loss seems to self-resolve after discontinuation of the medication.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Accutane and hair loss

+3

Hair loss is an uncommon side effect of Accutane therapy.  It is usually temporary and dose related.  Accutane-associated hair loss is usually characterized by thinning rather than patches of hair loss. 

Dina D. Strachan, MD