Accutane a Second Time?

I've been there before with Accutane. It's been 2 years and I'm getting the return of the cystic acne again. I hate this outcome. Is a second course of Accutane advisable?

Second course of Accutane needed

+1

A second course of Accutane(isotretinoin) is a very good option if you are developing cystic acne again. Your dermatologist will probably put you on an oral anti-acne pill (ie minocycline) prior to starting your second course. This is a good option for at least two months prior to starting Accutane.

Kennewick Dermatologist

Accutane, advisability of a second course

+1

If the first course of Accutane was beneficial, then a second course may be an excellent option. As my rule of thumb, roughly 50% of those treated with Accutane, no matter how good the response, may eventually have a recurrence severe enough to merit another course of treatment. And after a second course of treatment, roughly 50% of these people may flare to the point of needing a third course, etc. etc. Compared to any other therapy for this chronic persistent condition, this is still a phenomenally successful treatment.

Richard E. Stiefler, MD
Grand Junction Dermatologic Surgeon

Multiple courses of Accutane are occasionally necessary

+1

Occasionally repeat courses of Accutane (isotretinoin) are necessary for acne. Consider trying other acne therapies again before starting a second course. If you do decide on a second course, be sure to start on maintenance therapy immediately after to try to decrease chances of significant acne occurring again.

Allison J. Stocker, MD
San Antonio Dermatologist