Is Abdominal Swelling Normal After CoolSculpting?

I had Cool Sculpting done three days ago...the large device on my lower abdomen and small one on upper abdomen. My abdomen is noticibly swollen. I have actually gained about 1.5 lbs even tho I am eating less and healthier. Is this temporary water gain from swelling normal?

Post Coolsculpting swelling

+3

It is not uncommon to have swelling after Coolsculpting. I would suggest that you wait 2-3 weeks and typically this resolves otherwise discuss with your physician.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after Zeltiq CoolSculpting is normal

+3

Although it is considered to have minimal down time, Zeltiq CoolSculpting chills the fat and causes the fat cells to die. This creates inflammation which helps the body get rid of fat cells. Swelling and bruising can occur. It may last for a few weeks and improves on its own.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Side effects of Coolsculpting on abdomen

+2

Swelling is completely normal, especially when you are treated in the abdominal area. Swelling may last as long as two weeks. The majority of the swelling and sensitivity will be during the first week. By the end of the second week you will begin to feel less bloated. You may continue to be sensitive, sore and numb for an additional 2-3 weeks. By week six you will begin to notice a reduction in volume. Remember to drink water and stay active to allow for proper lymphatic drainage.

Pamela Gallagher, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Zeltiq

+2

Greetings~

It is definitely not unusual to have swelling after Zeltiq.  Swelling can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.  Some patients may also have bruising and tenderness in the treated areas, some numbness, tingling, pins and needles-like sensation...these are all quite normal. If you feel the swelling is excessive or it persists more than a few weeks, follow up with the office that treated you so they can advise you. 

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Swelling after CoolSculpting can happen, and resolves in hours to days.

+2

Swelling after CoolSculpting can happen, and resolves in hours to days. Your swelling should probably resolve in the next few days to one to two weeks. Tenderness, if present, may last a few weeks maximum, but typically goes away after a few days. Not every patient will develop these symptoms but, if they do, they are always transient. I recommend to my patients to take ibuprofen 400 mg by mouth two to three times a day for several days until the discomfort and swelling get better.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after CoolSculpting

+2

Swelling after the CoolSculpting procedure is absolutely normal and may last several weeks after treatment.

Rosalyn George, MD
Wilmington Dermatologic Surgeon

Abdominal Swelling Normal After CoolSculpting

+1
Swelling post Coolsculpting is not uncommon, and it is usually a result of water retention. Typically, the swelling will resolve itself in 2 - 3 weeks. If swelling persists, then contact your physician or discuss in your follow up visit.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Abdominal swelling after CoolSculpting

+1
Yes, swelling can occur after CoolSculpting.  This usually resolves in a few weeks.  Having said that, it is perfectly fine to check in with your board certified plastic surgeron's office and let them know what is going on with you.  Each office is different, (some like compression garments, etc.).  They will help guide you thorugh the process.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Cool Sculpting and recovery

+1
The swelling after Cool Sculpting is normal.  I would recommend an exam after the treatment.  I also use simple things snug fitting clothing like spanks or my personal favorite and abdominal waist binder.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Swelling

+1
Swelling is very common after coolsculpting.  Other normal symptoms include numbness, tingling and redness in the treated area.  Swelling will usually subside over 1-2 weeks.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon