Is Abdominal Swelling Normal After CoolSculpting?

I had Cool Sculpting done three days ago...the large device on my lower abdomen and small one on upper abdomen. My abdomen is noticibly swollen. I have actually gained about 1.5 lbs even tho I am eating less and healthier. Is this temporary water gain from swelling normal?

Post Coolsculpting swelling

It is not uncommon to have swelling after Coolsculpting. I would suggest that you wait 2-3 weeks and typically this resolves otherwise discuss with your physician.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after Zeltiq

Greetings~

It is definitely not unusual to have swelling after Zeltiq.  Swelling can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.  Some patients may also have bruising and tenderness in the treated areas, some numbness, tingling, pins and needles-like sensation...these are all quite normal. If you feel the swelling is excessive or it persists more than a few weeks, follow up with the office that treated you so they can advise you. 

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Swelling after CoolSculpting can happen, and resolves in hours to days.

Swelling after CoolSculpting can happen, and resolves in hours to days. Your swelling should probably resolve in the next few days to one to two weeks. Tenderness, if present, may last a few weeks maximum, but typically goes away after a few days. Not every patient will develop these symptoms but, if they do, they are always transient. I recommend to my patients to take ibuprofen 400 mg by mouth two to three times a day for several days until the discomfort and swelling get better.

Swelling after Zeltiq CoolSculpting is normal

Although it is considered to have minimal down time, Zeltiq CoolSculpting chills the fat and causes the fat cells to die. This creates inflammation which helps the body get rid of fat cells. Swelling and bruising can occur. It may last for a few weeks and improves on its own.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after CoolSculpting

Swelling after the CoolSculpting procedure is absolutely normal and may last several weeks after treatment.

Rosalyn George, MD
Wilmington Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after CoolSculpting

It is normal for your abdomen to be swollen after CoolSculpting, particularly when the larger applicator is used.  Massage, ice or heat (whichever feels better), and time will take care of it.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Abdominal Swelling After Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an amazing procedure especially for the abdominal area.  Because the area is "frozen", some patients due experience a degree of swelling or discomfort in the abdominal area.  This swelling should resolve in about a week. If you are concerned or very uncomfortable you should return to your treating physician for examination.

Swelling after CoolSculpting treatment

Swelling after treatment is normal. Everyone is different and will have a different response with severity and duration of the swelling. If the swelling doesn’t subside within a few weeks, you should consult the treating physician.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to Expect After Treatment

It is normal to feel a dull sensation in the treated area after the treatment. This sensation can last up to a few weeks. It is normal to have minor bruising, swelling, and tenderness to the treated area. If any of the feelings listed above change or get worst, contact your provider for further treatment.

Mark Pinsky, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Swelling following Coolsculpting

Swelling can be a typical response following Coolsculpting, but it should subside in a few days or could last a couple of weeks.  Patients may also experience mild bruising, tenderness and some feel numbness and/or tingling.  These side effects tend to be quite short term. Many patients feel very little discomfort and most return to normal activities immediately following treatment, whether it is returning to work or actually working out. There is no "downtime" for the majority of patients.