What Could've Caused my Uneven Eyes?

Over the last few years, my right eye - relative to the horizontal position of the left - seems to have taken a hike down my face. It's started to droop as well. I've been wearing contacts for about 6 years.

My right eyebrow is perched higher than the left, and it's the only eyebrow I can cock - could it be that my right eyebrow muscles have distended due to overexertion, leading to a droopy appearance? This asymmetry is worsened by the fact that both eyes seem to be drooping from the bottom. I'm 20 yrs. old, if at all relevant.

Orbital dystopia causes most eye symmetries

+4

Orbital dystopia refers to a difference in the set of the eyeball within the bony frame. We all have it if you look closely. Sometimes the bulgier eye tends to droop more quickly because of the unremitting pressure of the larger globe-like structure (the eyeball) on a weak lower eyelid.

In older patients (not you, you don;t need surgery for many years), we can perform a USIC(TM) (ultrashort incision cheeklift) to correct eye shape. There are three nice examples in the paper referenced below on how we can correct eye shape due to prominent eyeballs, prior surgery, or natural downgoing canthus (corner of the eye), none of which you currently have.

Don't let an aggressive unscrupulous surgeon prey on your insecurities and leave you with an altered appearance. I have seen it often enough.

Web reference: http://drbrent.com/Articles/skindeep.html

What Could've Caused my Uneven Eyes

+3

I think your eyes appear to be within the normal range and I would not do anything to them at this time.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/blepharoplasty.html

Uneven Eyes

+3

As the other surgeons mentioned, every person's right side of the face is different, to a variable degree, than the left side. Sometimes these differences are very subtle, and other times they are striking. It is important for the cosmetic surgeon to make note of these differences when evaluating a patient. Often I find the patient was not aware of these differences, only seeing that one brow was lower, or their nose was crooked, but not seeing the big picture.

In some people one eye projects further out of the socket than the other. You may be born this way, or there are many acquired medical causes- some serious. I can not tell from your photo, but this can be checked by any type of plastic surgeon or eye doctor.

Finally we all carry one brow higher than the other involuntarily. This is the dominant eye (just like you have a dominant hand). As with most people, you carry your right brow higher, suggesting right eye dominance. This is normal. If disturbing, a small amount of Botox above the right brow will give you more symmetry.

Hope this helps.

Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetries in the eye are normal but you can do something about it

+3

Asymmetry in the eye area is normal. In fact, we appreciate beauty in an asymmetric way. Our right brains appreciate beauty more than our left and our visual fields are asymmetric. Essentialy, in short, we see someone's right face more when we regard or assess beauty. This has evolutionarily lead to asymmetries in our face based on millions of years of sexual selection. We tend to choose our mates based on how good the right sides of our face look more than what our left sides look. That's sort of the long story and there is even a longer explanation to that.

In terms of correcting, you should realize that not everybody is the same on both sides. This may comfort you a little and might dissuade you from getting something done. What I can say is that you can get some correction of this if you are willing to do this. From this picture, I would really have to see you in person or see pictures of you to really know, but your left eyebrow is a little lower. You might benefit from adding volume to the left temple region and above the eyebrow to lift the eyebrow subtly. Even adding some volume below the left eyebrow could benefit. This can be done with fat grafting, temporary fillers, and other implants. A browlift could even pull up the left eyebrow but in a less than natural way.

But I would really have to see you in person to be able to counsel you more.

I hope that helps!

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Orbital asymmetry

+2

Orgbital asymmetry is the norm rather than the exception. Your eyes look like they are within normal limits. I would recommend nothing in terms of surgery.

Eye asymmetries

+2

First of all, the asymmetries you are pointing out are extremely subtle and well within the normal range. Secondly, all people have some degree of asymmetry. Our faces have been well studied and are not the mirror image from one side to the other.

As long as you do not have double vision issues, there really isn't a problem you should try to do anything about here. Try to be less critical of yourself if possible.

Some asymmetry is normal.

+1

Looking at your photo, it does not appear that the asymmetry between your eyes is outside of normal. Everyone has some level of asymmetry between their right and left side. As you age, some of these asymmetries become more apparent. If you are not noticing any disturbance or disruption in visibility and everything else seems normal, I would say to just wait and see. If signs of aging progress faster on the dominant side of the face, you may want to check with a plastic surgeon about using some BOTOX® Cosmetic to even things out a bit.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Eye Shape

+1

Thank you for the picture and your question. In most cases, the eyelid shape and contour is different because of a difference in the size, shape, or position of the orbit (eye socket). In cases where there is a crease on one side and not on the other, this can be remedied with a relatively straightforward surgery. In most cases, though, no treatment is needed.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscofacialplasticsurgery.com/upper-bleph.php

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

What Could've Caused My Uneven Eyes?

+1

No one’s face is perfectly symmetrical, no matter how closely it may seem to be even on both sides. From your photo, any asymmetry between your left eye and your right is very subtle. I don’t think that any of your normal facial expressions would have caused a permanent change in your eye and brow placement, and don’t think eyelid surgery is needed for correction at this time. However, if you’re concerned, or feel there’s been an unexplained and rapid change in your appearance, it might be worth checking with a physician to rule out any underlying causes, and gain peace of mind.

Web reference: http://www.accentscosmeticsurgery.com

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Periorbital Rejuvenation

+1

The picture is not of excellent quality and is slightly blurry.  Based on this picture, your asymmetry appears to be very subtle (and within normal limits).  You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to examine you, but based on this picture I wouldn't offer you any surgery.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.