Tummy Tuck Worth It on Loose Skin for a 17-year-old?

Is a tummy tuck worth it? I'll include my picture, but I'm 17 years old, turning 18 in Decemeber. I have some loose skin that has somewhat decreased. I'm just curious if you think I should have it and if it would make my stomach look presentable

Tummy tuck options in teenagers

+2

A skin only full tummy tuck would likely give you your best result.  More than likely, it would not be necessary to tighten the deep layer at all given your level of fitness.  The operation could be limited (so not a garden variety tummy tuck) in areas where your skin is tighter (upper abdomen).

Loose Skin Removed With Tummy Tuck

+1
The loose skin you have and some of your stretch marks can be removed with a tummy tuck. However, please understand that you will have a scar as a result of this surgery that could be hidden by most clothing. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Skin Excision is a good choice-Keep it simple

+1

You have lost weight around the abdomen area.  The skin changes show this very well.  You are male and a young man with a great looking upper abdomen.  I would just excise the extra skin to make the area nice and tight.  also putting the incision as low as possible.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Tummy tuck for loose skin in a 17 year old? In this case, yes

+1

Although you did not specify this, you look like you lost a fair amount of weight and have been exercising and have good muscle tone. The stretched out skin of the lower belly really compromises what you have achieved. That skin is not going to improve as you get older. You do not need a full tummy tuck procedure as you don't appear to have muscle separation. What you do need is a skin-only tummy tuck. This would be done through a long, horizontal incision just above your pubic area. The scar would be low enough to be hidden under the waist of low rider jeans.

It is not common that I would recommend a surgery like this in a 17 year old, but I would guess that you are self conscious about the way your belly looks. At your age it would be great to feel good about wearing a swim suit.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for loose skin

+1

Hi, you do appear to have lost a significant amount of weight which has left you with loose skin and stretch marks.  A tummy tuck will flatten your abdomen, but the trade-off is that you will require a long incision along the lower abdomen.  This can be concealed in most clothing.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck after weight loss in teenagers

+1

When weight loss results in skin excess and stretch marks on the abdomen tummy tuck is a solution to remove the skin and contour the stomach. Considering age, most young men will continue to gain bone and muscle mass well into the 20's and for a modest amount of laxity that does not interfere with clothing and exercise time is on your side as far as having the skin excess corrected. There are two scars to contend with in abdominoplasty, the transverse scar over and across hip to hip, and the scar left around the belly button itself. Younger patients, perhaps all, these days expect rapid and immediate results, though with tummy tuck, the lower abdomen can be stiff and slightly numb for up to a year. I suggest you think carefully about timing, and it may be best to consider your need for correction after High School during a transition when fewer will tend to notice. There should be no need to hurry your decision. Your stomach will be greatly improved. Yet whether it is worth it is a decision you must make.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy Tuck for a 17 Year Old

+1

From your picture it's clear that you have lost a significant amount of weight resulting in the excess skin and mild amount of fat. The vast number of stretch marks gives me an idea of the weight loss you've been through. What you need to think about is the future. If you've ever had the thought of having children in the future then perhaps surgery isn't appropriate at this time. But on the flip side I would agree that a tummy tuck would help your cosmetic appearance. It all comes down your personal comfort.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck options

+1

Hi Nyrguy91 - It appears as though you may have had a large amount of weight loss owing to the stretch marks and excess skin. Therefore, a tummy tuck may be great for you to get rid of the excess skin. If you have looseness of your abdominal area, this can be tightened as well. Check out some before and after pictures to get an idea of what you want your abdomen to look like. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck will help you

+1

Hi,

I almost never recommend cosmetic surgery for minors. That being said, with your considerable weight loss, you have a significant amount of excess skin and stretch marks, which are a sign of irreversible skin injury. A tummy tuck is pretty much the only thing which will help improve the appearance of your abdominal wall. To say the least, the results would be dramatic.

Once you're greater than 18 years old, I would recommend consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Loose Skin and Tummy Tuck

+1

It is normally unusual to do a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) on a 17 year old. However, after looking at your picture, a tummy tuck is the only way you are going to see significant improvement in your loose skin. From what I can see, you actually look like a very good candidate for a tummy tuck. If you are otherwise healthy, you should have a smooth recovery. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD