Will Fixing Bulbous Tip Make the Nose Look Thinner?

I have a bulbous tip nose. I want to get my nose to have a normal tip but also want it to look thinner. If I get the bulbous tip fixed, will my nose automatically look skinnier?

Fixing a Bulbous Tip for a Thinner Nose

+1

In short, yes. Reducing the bulbous tip (wide, lacking in definition) will make the nose look thinner and more refined. In some cases, however, the bridge needs to be narrowed as well. This helps to keep the upper and lower parts of the nose in harmony. Preoperative imaging can be very helpful in considering different aesthetic goals during your consultations.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reducing bulbous nasal tip for thinner nose

+1

If you are going to embark on just a tip plasty to feminize and refine a bulbous tip, the rest of your nose should be in balance. In the majority of cases, an entire rhinoplasty is performed to thin and narrow the bridge as well as the tip to further balance the entire nasal profile. When only a tip-plasty is performed to reduce the bulbosity, the nose will look skinnier by itself.

Bulbous Tip

+1

MsVogue: First, let me say that nothing in rhinoplasty surgery is automatic. Changing your tip so there is better definition will make it look thinner. On the basis of the single picture you submitted I cannot tell if your entire nose will look thinner. In fact, narrowing the tip may make the upper part of your nose look wider: the tip is not an isolated structure. Submit complete pictures or get a good consultation to answer your questions.

Thinning the nasal tip

+1

Dear Ms. Vogue,

Thinning your bulbous nasal tip will indeed give your nose a thinner appearance.  The photograph is substandard, but from the look of it your upper nasal structure is already thin and will harmonize nicely with a thinned tip.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Will fixing bulbous tip make the nose look thinner?

+1

Yes, your nose would look thinner BUT from looking at your picture, there maybe other issues for you to have facial balance.
Look at the pictures on my web site regarding the nasal tip. Then see if you can find a doctor in your area to be upfront with you. You have beautiful facial features and getting all of the parts to balance out could be the right thing for you.

Michael Kulick, MD

Bulbous Tip and Rhinoplasty

+1
Thank you for the picture. The hollowed out appearance can be filled with a hyraluronic acid. In the area the skin is very thin and more out to have lumps. Make sure you go to an experienced plastic surgeon. When I fill this area I under correct and have the patient come back 2 weeks later to help avoid lumps. Sometimes the filler will draw water into it and as i said the skin is very thin.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reducing the size of the tip of your nose

+1

It appears as though you are a great candidate for reducing the size of the tip of your nose. Your nose may look thinner right away, but swelling may take up to a year to resolve for the final look. To accomplish a reduction in the tip, you'll need a rhinoplasty done under twilight anesthesia or general anesthesia. Your recovery should take about 1-2 weeks with minimal bruising. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Correcting a bulbous tip to make the nose look smaller

+1

Correcting a bulbous tip will make the nose look thinner, and, from the photograph you submitted, I think this is primarily your situation. However, there are other situations when not only the tip is bulbous, but the nasal bridge is wide as well. In this situation the middle and upper part of the nose can be narrowed by narrowing the nasal bones.

Timothy R. Jones, MD
Massachusetts Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Narrowing your tip will have a nice overall effect on your nose.  However, I would have to see your nose from different views to give you advice on any other changes.  Good luck with your surgery. 

David Shafer, MD

Bulbous Tip Fix

+1

Refinement of a bulbous tip will certainly help your nose look smaller, thereby bringing it closer to appropriate proportionality with the rest of your face. Judging from your picture, it appears that your nose may also benefit from other manuevers to make it appear thinner, such as deprojection. Decreasing the distance from your face to the tip of your nose (deprojection), in combination with refinement of the bulbous tip, will make your nose appear smaller, thinner, and more feminine.

Have a local rhinoplasty surgeon show you this with imaging so you have a better understanding of how your nose might benefit from a rhinoplasty.

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon