Does Dysport Last Longer Than Botox?

I've heard that supposedly Dysport (Reloxin) is better than Botox because the Dysport lasts longer.  Has anyone else heard this?  Does the Dysport being used outside the U.S. right now usually last longer than Botox? Thx

Dysport and Botox - which lasts longer? The answer: The same.

+5

The simple answer is they last the same if a bioequivalent  number of units are given .

That being said, there are variables that would make one last longer or shorter, or would have them give a different effect. Such variables include:

• the dilution used (how many cc per vial) for each product
  • how many units used total

For patients in which have not been treated with either Botox or Dysport, one will often see results in as few as 3 days with Dysport compared with 7 or more days with Botox. For those whom have been treated with one or the other, the onset is fairly similar with both.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Launch at end of June or later

+3

The FDA has asked Medicis to use the same name as is used in Europe, Dysport. I have heard the same thing, i.e. that it lasts a bit longer than but must hold opinion until I and my American colleagues start using it.

It definitely disperses more than Botox which may be an advantage in areas like the forehead but trickier to use in the peri-ocular region.

Medicis will be holding rep training June 18th so I would look for its launch sometime after that.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Dysport and Botox: which lasts longer. About the same, but depends on patient

+2

For the most part, I find that Botox and Dysport last about the same amount of time in any given patient.  However, there are instances where one seems to last longer in a patient than the other.  I usually tell my patients to try them both. I tell them to mark on their calendars when they had the treatment done, and when the lines returned.  First with one, then with the other.  That way, they can judge for themselves which one lasts longer for them (or if they are the same).

Whitney Bowe, MD

Botox vs. Dysport

+2
Botox Cosmetic injections generally lasts between 3-6 months, enabling patients to control the extent of their treatments. Dysport is a relatively new Botolinum toxin Type A for the injection treatment of moderate to severe wrinkles of the face. There is reportedly longer longevity for this product, and it is used similarly as Botox Cosmetic, for the treatment of the wrinkles of the forehead, between the eyebrows, around the eyes, the mouth, and in the neck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Dysport lasting longer

+2

I have used Dysport since its release and have used Botox prior to that. In my opinion the Dysport seems to start working a little faster and seems to last a little longer, maybe 10% longer.

Julio Garcia, MD

Dysport may last longer

+2

Dysport is the competitor to Botox. I use both and I compare them. In mos patients, it kicks in faster than Botox. In most patients, it last about the same time as Botox, although I have some patients tell me it lasts longer. Dr. Behnam.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport vs. Botox, pick your poison.

+2

These prescription injection medications, Dysport and Botox, are used to treat fine facial wrinkles . They are very similar, with only subtle differences between the 2. Most plastic surgeons would agree that they last about the same time (4 months).

Historically, Botox has been used since the mid 90s to treat cosmetic facial wrinkles. Dysport was recently introduced in the United States (2 years) for similar indications, but it has been used in Europe for nearly 10 years. In my practice, Dysport has a quicker onset of action, but we have not noticed a significant difference in the longevity of the product. Some of my patients have claimed that the Dysport last longer when they compared to their previous Botox injections. This is purely anecdotal and to my knowledge hasn't been proven in a well designed study.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Dysport vs Botox

+2

While dysport activation is quicker than Botox, I think that the two products lasts about the same amount of time usually 3-4 months.

Which lasts longer, Botox or Dysport?

+2

Dysport, the new Botox alternative, has been out on the market now for close to two years and is gaining attention.  Depending the dosage relative to Botox, Dysport should last just as long as Botox (3-4 months).  Some of my patients have noticed the onset of action for Dysport is shorter (1-2 days) compared to Botox (3-4 days).  Both work extremely well, are FDA approved, and when injected appropriately, provide wonderful results. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does Dysport Last Longer Than Botox?

+2

Hi,

I think that based on the ongoing comparable clinical studies, it depends on the amounts of units used per product for the same area.  The initial recommended ratio was 2.5 units of Dysport to 1 unit of Botox.  We did an analysis of the Dysport patients in our practice and found that going to a ratio fo 3 units of Dysport to 1 unit of Botox lasted longer in the patients and they had a higher satisfaction rate.  The main advantage of Dysport is that it takes starts taking effect faster 1-2 days as opposed to Botox which is 3-4 days.  We have some patients who swear by Botox and others that swear by Dysport.  Personally having used both, I think they last approximately the same with that ratio of units.

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon