Ask a doctor

Can Plastic Surgery Fix a Buttock Indentation?

I have a golf ball sized dent on my right butt cheek. It has a pupilish color just where the indention is. It does not hurt. What could this be?

I looked up butt indentions on google and read many things that sounds like it could be from getting cortizone shots. If this is the problem or not, can a plastic surgeon fix it?

I have a great body and would not be comfortable having an indention/ hole in my butt. Please give my any suggestions where I should start to getting this fixed. Thank you.

Doctor Answers (2)

Dent in Buttock


This sounds unusual. First you should determine the cause and after that it can be repaired. This may require a combination of  liposuction, flap or buttock augmentation with fat grafting.

Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Fat Grafting for Indentations


Without a picture it is difficult for us to give you specific advice. Aditionally, you really need to see a doctor in person to examine what is going on. If you need volume added to improve the indentation, then fat grafting may be a good choice. Fat can be harvested from your thigh or other buttocks through a liposuciton technique and then injected in the indented area. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.