PCA Chemical Peel Effective for Dark Skin?

Is a PCA chemical peel effective at evening out skin tone and texture, and eliminating hyperpigmentation for people of color (deep tan/caramel colored skin)?

Light TCA peels do great to even out color and improve skin in dark skinned patients

Lighter TCA peels do great to even out skin color and texture problems in dark skinned patients. They are usually done every 2 weeks for 3-5 peels of 10-20% TCA at a cost of $250-500 each. 

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

TCA chemical peel for dark skin

In darker complexions, I would only recommend very light TCA peels (no greater than 10%). Other options that are generally safe for darker skin include Jessner and Salicylic acid peels.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

I believe you mean TCA peels.

I believe you mean TCA peels. TCA peels are safe to use in people with darker skin. They must be used carefully or they may make the pigment problem worse. I suggest that you see a dermatologisit with plenty of experience in chemical peeling.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

TCA Peel

A TCA peel for someone with a darker complexion must be done by someone with training and experience. I would not recommend anyone but a physician. I have seen burns and worsening of pigment problems when this kind of peel is done by an aesthetician. In a skilled physician's hands, the correct strength of peel can be used to lift the pigment away and help even out texture. You may also consider an at-home brightening system that includes hydroquinone as a component.

Kavita Mariwalla, MD