Will Non Surgical Nose Job Hinder Future Rhinoplasty?

Will using Fat Injections for a "nonsurgical" nose job prevent me from getting a "real" Rhinoplasty in the future?

My surgeons suggests using fat injections to reshape my nose, but I'm a little worried that this may prevent me from getting a surgical rhinoplasty in the future. Is there any validity in this concern? thanks!

Injectable Fillers Lead to Scar Tissue

+1

If you are considering having a Rhinoplasty in the future, I would hold off on fillers and/or fat injections in the nose. Fat has the blessing and the curse of lasting (the portion that stays and the portion that is absorbed is unpredictable) in the area injected. Radiesse is the most frequently used filler in the nose. It is a semi-permanent filler, lasting about a year. Its longevity is first related to volume effect from calcium hydroxylapatite and then later related to collagen deposition (scar tissue). In my experience, this factor adds a layer of avoidable complexity to a Rhinoplasty.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectable fillers not recommended for non-surgical nose job

+1

It is not a good idea to have fat injections or any other injectables placed in the nose. There have been many disastrous complications from these nonsurgical nose job procedures. If the time comes when you want a rhinoplasty, make sure your surgeon has performed thousands of nose jobs.

I would not use fat in the nose.

+1

I started doing fat grafting 30 years ago when other surgeons said it didn't work. It does work! It does last!  However, I never use it in the nose. If you want to try a filler use Radiesse which is reversible in time and then you can get your nose done properly.

Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty with Fat Injections, Will it Hinder Future Surgical Rhinoplasty?

+1

Both the good and bad news about using fat injections in the nose is that when the fat grafts take, they are permanent. Permanent fat in the nose may make your future rhinoplasty more difficult.

If you are not yet ready for rhinoplasty, I would recommend sticking with more temporary fillers in the nose if you must, such as Restylane, Juvederm, or Radiesse.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Non-surgical rhinoplasty can be done...with some caveats.

+1

First, it is *not* true that one must wait a year after using a hyaluronic acid gel filler (Restylane, Juvederm) before undergoing surgical rhinoplasty. But it is absolutely true that the filler must be completely gone. Fortunately, these fillers can be dissolved away quite well ahead of time with hyaluronidase.

The point is that the surgeon needs to see the nose without residual filler present in order to formulate a proper surgical plan. Certain fillers such as Radiesse cannot be forced to dissolve and must simply dissolve on its own, but this can take upwards of 1.5 to 2 years. Serial photos should be obtained to verify its dissolution.

Artefill, a permanent filler, is another issue entirely. I do use it in select cases of non-surgical rhinoplasty, but usually this is for patients who've had a previous surgical rhinoplasty and are either not candidates for revision, don't want a surgical revision, or for whom surgical intervention would be overkill (fixing a minor dent, for example). Since it is permanent, surgery after its implantation needs to be done with special considerations, but fortunately, its shape is generally stable (at least to the degree that surgery is stable) and can be compensated for in the surgical plan.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-Surgical Nose Job Can Make Rhinoplasty More Difficult

+1

The increased popularity of injectable fillers, such as Restylane and Radiesse for treating facial wrinkles and for restoring volume to the face, has spilled over into nasal surgery. These substances are now being injected into the soft tissues of the nose to change its shape -- i.e, a non-surgical nose-job. The deformity of the nose will dictate how much of the injectable substance is required to achieve the desired result.

While injectable fillers may be appropriate for treating localized deformities, such as depressions or a low bridge, large volumes are required for an substantial change in nasal shape.

Most of the products that have been on the market for the last several years are temporary. However, newer, longer-lasting fillers have become available. Some of these are permanent. This poses a problem when the result does not meet the patient's expectations.

Many surgeons are begining to see patients who come to their practice for revision surgery because they are displeased with the results of injectable fillers. The large volumes of these substances are changing the way the natural tissues appear, which can make revision surgery more difficult, and in some cases, impossible.

Over time, these fillers have been noted to cause skin changes, such as redness, in some patients if they are injected too close to the surface of the skin. They may also give the nose a lumpy appearance.

The patient who is considering undergoing changing the shape of their nose, should visit with a qualified rhinoplasty specialist to determine whether or not they are a candidate for such procedures.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non Surgical Nose Job before Rhinoplasty

+1

Avoid any non-surgical rhinoplasty before traditional nasal surgery.

Injections themselves may have side-effects or complications that may interfer with future rhinoplasty. Scar tissue forms and cartilage may be altered with any procedure, even non-surgical. I have not heard of fat injections into the nose and cannot recommend it. However, certain products such as hyaluronic acid might be used if you wait at least over one year before rhinoplasty. Some residual injected material may still be present in the nasal tissue long after treatment.

Speak with a rhinoplasty surgeon to determine the best option for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon