Can Microneedling Be Safely Done at Home?

I was considering microneedling for stretch marks and cellulite treatment. Do you think this is a safe treatment to do by myself at home or should I look into finding a dematologist to perform the procedure?

Micro-needling at home: Safe or Unsafe ?

Thanks for the question.

Micro-needling or derma-roller therapy for home use is distinct from that performed in the physician's office. The needles for home use are typically under 1mm,  while those of the surgical variant typically are 1 to 3 mms. Their purposes are distinct as well.

The home derma roller is designed to maximize the penetration and effectiveness of active topical skincare products. It is literally pain-free and requires no topical numbing. Via micro-needling the derma roller painlessly creates micro channels through the surface of the skin, allowing active skincare products ingredients such as Retinol and Vitamin C to reach the depths of the skin more effectively. Their penetration, absorption and effectiveness are noticeably improved. 

Conversely, the surgical derma roller is used to treat a wide variety of skin conditions.  These include lax skin, wrinkles on the face, upper lip, neck, arms, abdomen, buttocks and legs. It is also useful for treating shallow to deep acne scars. Due to the length of needle, this type of therapy requires at minimum a topical anesthetic, and in more expansive cases, IV sedation or a general anesthetic is recommended.

Warmest Regards, 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Cellulite? Wrinkles? Skin laxity? Micro-Needling Is Best in the Doctor's Office.

Not only is Micro-needling (aka Collagen Induction Therapy) safest at your doctor's office, but it's likely to be much more effective as well. It is best performed under clean conditions, with a topical anesthetic, and physician grade devices can penetrate up to 3mm, providing a much better degree of controlled wounding. These devices have become more sophisticated in the past 4 years and are greatly advanced relative to the home devices that are available. Furthermore, dermal penetration can be offered with various topical agents that can further enhance your degree of enhancement. Getting on a monthly schedule for micro-needling is easy and your results will be better, more consistent (and more pleasant!) than trying to treat at home.  

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Results When Microneedling Performed By Professional

At home microneedling is a great asset to the in-office procedures. You will see the best results from a medical treatment performed by a professional. The rollers come in all sizes and a professional will carry some longer rollers that are needed to achieve the best results. I would not recommend performing these treatments at home, there are many tricks that can be associated with rolling so getting it done in a sterile professional environment will be the best way to go. Not to mention you will find a huge difference in your results as well.

Is Microneedling Good for Home Use?

I would not recommend microneedling for home use. This procedure must be performed inside a physician's office. Please find a dermatologist in your area who can perform this procedure.

David J. Sire, MD
Fullerton Dermatologic Surgeon

Microneedling at Home vs. Office

I would absolutely recommend having microneedling performed at a physician's office vs. at home.  The types of pens/rollers and needles are different for physician use.  They allow for better penetration of the skin, which is exactly what you would want out of a microneedling procedure.  A physician's office can also use and recommend medical grade products before, during and after your treatment.  This will maximize your treatment benefit!  Best of luck!

Home treatments vs. Professional treatments

There are so many options for at home treatments these days.  Treatments made for use by the consumer are substantially less effective to ensure safety of the consumer.  Professionals in the industry are trained on this this devices and machines allowing to become much more aggressive during treatment for improved results.  That being said you well receive are better outcome with professional treatments, just always trust whom you are being treated by.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon