Can Microneedling Be Safely Done at Home?

I was considering microneedling for stretch marks and cellulite treatment. Do you think this is a safe treatment to do by myself at home or should I look into finding a dematologist to perform the procedure?

Micro-needling at home: Safe or Unsafe ?

+5

Thanks for the question.

Micro-needling or derma-roller therapy for home use is distinct from that performed in the physician's office. The needles for home use are typically under 1mm,  while those of the surgical variant typically are 1 to 3 mms. Their purposes are distinct as well.

The home derma roller is designed to maximize the penetration and effectiveness of active topical skincare products. It is literally pain-free and requires no topical numbing. Via micro-needling the derma roller painlessly creates micro channels through the surface of the skin, allowing active skincare products ingredients such as Retinol and Vitamin C to reach the depths of the skin more effectively. Their penetration, absorption and effectiveness are noticeably improved. 

Conversely, the surgical derma roller is used to treat a wide variety of skin conditions.  These include lax skin, wrinkles on the face, upper lip, neck, arms, abdomen, buttocks and legs. It is also useful for treating shallow to deep acne scars. Due to the length of needle, this type of therapy requires at minimum a topical anesthetic, and in more expansive cases, IV sedation or a general anesthetic is recommended.

Warmest Regards, 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Best Results When Microneedling Performed By Professional

+1
At home microneedling is a great asset to the in-office procedures. You will see the best results from a medical treatment performed by a professional. The rollers come in all sizes and a professional will carry some longer rollers that are needed to achieve the best results. I would not recommend performing these treatments at home, there are many tricks that can be associated with rolling so getting it done in a sterile professional environment will be the best way to go. Not to mention you will find a huge difference in your results as well.

Jerome Edelstein, MD