Microdermabrasion for Broken Capillaries?

I went to the dermatologist today and he recomended microdermabrasion for me. It surprised me because I have broken capillaries and I thought that this was a contraindication for microdermabrasion. I asked him and he said that my broken capillaries were caused by sun exposure and that I had no risk to get more from a microdermabrasion. Still, I'm not convinced about this. What do you think?

Avoid microdermabrasion for capillaries

+2

In my experience, my patients have told me that microdermabrasion has caused or worsened their broken capillaries. In my opinion I would avoid this morality and consider other treatment options

Microdermabrasion may worsen broken capillaries.

+1

Hi New.bie

In my opinion microdermabrasion would not be first line for the treatment of broken capillaries. A light source, such as IPL or V-Beam laser would be more beneficial.

It may be that your capillaries are very mild and your doctor felt that the benefits of the microdermabrasion for another co-existing skin condition would outweigh the risks of he microdermabrasion.

Dr. Carroll

Toronto Dermatologist

Treat facial capillaries with a laser, not microdermabrasion

+1

It is far better to treat broken facial capillaries with an IPL laser than to use microdermabrasion which might actually worsen the situation.  Good luck! 

Probably a Light Device would be better

+1

Your dermatologist would obviously be better to gauge what treatment would be best. However, with all due respect to one of my colleagues, my feeling is that a light device is definitely a superior treatment for telangiectasias (which incidentally are not "broken" capillaries, but tiny blood vessels which are permanently dilated).

If you have more diffuse erythema (redness) and a few telangiectasias, the IPL in the green wavelength would be a very good choice. A variation of this treatment would be to add Levulan and make it a photodynamic treatment.

Generally, if there are discrete, small vessels, one of the lasers would be the preferred modality. The latest improved machine for this would be one of the dual-wavelength lasers such as the Cynergy system. This gives both a pulsed dye and a 1064 nm long pulsed Nd:YAG.. However, this treatment is going to be much more expensive.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.