Keloid Scarring After Liposuction?

I'm a white female in my 20's and considering geting liposuction. I've been told I have keloid scaring after I had my ears pierced. I'm wanting to know if I'll get these scars from a liposuction procedure? If so, will they be big?

Risks should be discussed with your physician

+2

Keloid scarring is more prone in earlobes, chest and upper outer arms. However, as you have a tendency towards Keloids, you do have a greater chance of having a liposuction insertion scar develop a hypertrophic scar, or a keloid. This may only develop two months after surgery and surgical revision may not make it better, it even could make it worse. Cortisone injections, repeated every several weeks, may be necessary to thin the scars and this can cause lightening of color and a depression in the contour underneath the scar. If a keloid forms, it may not respond to any treatment and may persist indefinitely. This is a risk that you need to discuss thoroughly with your physician.

Liposuction and keloid scars

+1

Keloid scars can occur after any type of skin injury.  I would heed your personal history of keloids and treat the scars aggressively after your liposuction.  Liposuction is still a viable option for you. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Liposuction and Scars

+1

The scars from liposuciton are very small and put in areas that are usually hidden. It is not a real indication. You may have keloid on your ears but different areas of your body may heal just fine.

Your doctor will keep an eye on these areas and can inject the scars if there is any indication of the scars becoming thick.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Keloid scars of ears

+1

If you truly have ear keloid scars, then it is always possible that the liposuction incisons can become a keloid. This is very uncommon but possible.

Scars after liposuctioning

+1

Keloid scarring in the ears with piercing is not uncommon and usually does not have an association with keloid scarring elsewhere. Any injury to the skin can heal with abnormal scarring. During the healing phase your surgeon should monitor your scarring and can do things to help reduce the risk of poor scarring.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction scars

+1

Any surgery will leave some scarring. Liposuction scars are very small and usually placed in well concealed areas. There is always a risk for poor scarring. However, earlobes are well known locations for keloid formation. Liposuction areas do not have that high of a risk. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and consider that risk when making your decision about undergoing liposuction surgery. How scars heal depend on your genetics mostly, then on the location of the scar on your body, the situation that created the scar - surgery vs. trauma, and technique used in surgery for closure. Good luck.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Hypertrophic scars versus keloid

+1

A keloid is excessive scaring that extends beyond the edge of the wound. A hypertrophic scar is a rope scar that does not extend beyond the confined of the actual wound when healed. Keloids are harder to deal with than hypertrophic scars. For you, it is advisable that you bring this concern to the attention of your cosmetic surgery practitioner so they can assess how you ears healed and also look at any other scars on your body to provide solid guidence regarding how you might heal from liposuction. The problem should be manageable but it should be specifically addressed during your consultation with your liposuction surgeon.

Scars from liposuction at cannula insertion sites

+1

The sacrs from liposuction are usually quite small and fairly well hidden, although this can vary from surgeon to surgeon.  Ask to see photos during your consult and be sure to point out your ear keloids.  This should not keep you from having liposuction if you desire it.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Very uncommon

+1

The incisions for the liposuction are very small and they heal well. Discuss your concern with your doctor and let him examine your earlobe. he will be able to advise better.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction scars rarely ever turn keloidal

+1

Even if you do get keloids from earlobe piercings, it is unlikely that you would develop keloids in the tiny liposuction scars. Any scarring can be prevented or treated with cortisone creams or injections starting about 2 weeks after the liposuction procedure so don't worry. Get your liposuction done now.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon