Can Liposuction Treat Bulge in Breasts to Armpit Area?

My breasts seem to be moving toward my arm pits. I am 60 so they are pretty flabby, I wear a 34D bra, but it is very hard to find bras that fit well because I pooch out  in the sides in most bras.

Is there a way to fix this? I don't want to be bigger, just take out that side fat. Would liposuction work for me?

Liposuction can treat bulge in breasts to armpit area

+3

Yes, it can.

The area you are referring to is actually the tail of the breast gland (aka the Axillary tail of Spence, in Medicalese).

Depending on its size and content it may well be flattened with liposuction. Liposuction will remove fat but not suction breast gland tissue NOR will it flatten very loose skin. But, in some women removing the fat leaves loose skin behind which, if you are really not happy with, may need to be removed (and leave a scar).

I hope this was helpful.

Liposuction & Surgical Resection for Fatty Tissue in Arm Pit

+1

The treatment of pre axillary folds is dependent upon the cause of the problem. In some cases it may be secondary to excess fat. Under these circumstances, the fat bulges outward from the end of the patient’s bra and is very noticeable. In other cases, the bulge may actually be secondary to accessory breast tissue. When this situation occurs, the size of the mass may fluctuate with the menstrual cycle.

The treatment of pre axillary folds is dependent upon the cause of the condition. Determination of the cause usually requires pictures and a physical exam. During physical examination breast tissue will be noted to be firmer and more fibrous than fatty tissue.

When fatty tissue is encountered in the pre axillary region, liposuction will often provide correction of the problem. When breast tissue is encountered in this area, more aggressive procedures are usually necessary. In most cases, surgical resection of the tissue will prove to be necessary.

If you’re concerned about pre axillary folds, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for your problem.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is extremely effective in treating this problem.

+1

The fullness may be the result of excessive fat or breast tissue (tail of the breast or axillary breast tissue).  Depending on the problem a combination of liposuction and resection of skin will need to be carried out.  Once you visit a plastic surgeon, they can evaluate the best treatment for you.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Liposuction Can Help Breast/Armpit Bulge, But You May Also Need To Remove Skin

+1

Liposuction can definitely treat this area, and something like ultrasonic is recommended because the area can be quite fibrous. Ultrasonic liposuction is better equipped to break up fibrous fat for easier removal.

However, due to your size and age, you may also have a bit of excess skin in this area that cannot be improved with liposuction alone.  If this is the case for you, a lift may be required. A lift will remove excess skin and fat to achieve the improvement you want. Please talk to an experienced and certified plastic surgeon for their advice, since it is difficult to say whether the bulges are comprised of fat and/or skin. Good luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Can Liposuction Treat Bulge in Breasts to Armpit Area

+1

The lateral area of the chest wall posterior to the breasts can indeed be treated with liposuction and will give a good result in most patients.  However, the fat is very fibrous so you may need an ultrasonic or power assisted liposuction device to remove the fat.  There is also a potential problem with the skin in that it may not shrink down and then excision will be needed to contour this area. As long as you are aware of these points then you can discuss the procedure with your Plastic Surgeon.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Liposuction to remove extra breast tissue

+1

Liposuction can help diminish the extra tissue on the side of your breasts. This area is typically fibrous so I recommend liposuction with laser or power-assisted to help break down these areas.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Breasts and fatty tissue

+1

Liposuction can help areas of  bulky fatty tissue.  The area outside yoru bra or in the lateral chest folds certainly can be treated.  This is usually done as an outpatient.

Liposuction of the outer breasts

+1

Liposuctioning for the outer breast area under the arms is a good choice but is not 100%.  SSometimes there is too much skin there and you will still get the skin overlap. The only other thing you can do is some type of skin removal procedure.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction around the breasts

+1

Yes, liposuction around the breasts and the armpit area is very popular. The procedure can be performed while you are asleep in the operating room or as an office procedure. We have had very nice results through a single 2 mm incision in your armpit crease to remove the bulging. Good luck with your procedure.

David Shafer, MD

Fatty armpit/breast area

+1

Many women have fullness or bulges in the area between their upper outer breast and armpit area. Often times this is a combination of breast tissue and fatty tissue. Liposuction will only work if it's predominantly fatty tissue, as you can't suction out breast tissue. The skin must be of good quality with no stretch marks for this to be effective. Other times, this area is composed mainly of breast tissue which is firmer and of a more dense tissue- in this case, direct excision(cutting out) may be required. This option leaves a scar which may not be acceptable to some patients.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an accurate evaluation of this area and a treatment plan.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD