Minimal Incision Brachioplasty

I just recently lost about 45 pounds and I noticed that I have minimal sagging and stretch marks on my arms. I inquired to a plastic surgeon about this and she said because it is minimal and I am so young (20 years old), it would not be worth the scar. Is there any solution to my problem that is not as severe? Would any among Mini Brachioplasty, arm toning with exercise, or laser skin tightening be a good option for me? Any advice would help seeing as I am very insecure about this and would like to handle it now while I am young.

Minimal incision brachioplasty, option?

+2
Since you are young and did not have a massive weight loss, you probably have good skin elasticity.  A limited incision (mini brachioplasty) may just be ideal for you.  I would recommend toning your arms first and then decide if you still want surgery.  Often a toned arm is attractive and you will not feel insecure about any loose skin.  If not, then you should discuss the mini brachioplasty with your plastic surgeon

Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Laser skin tightening instead of an arm lift is almost always a disappointment.

+2

If the laser tightens skin at all, it is modest.  This is from a plastic surgeon who owns this technology.  Most patients who request a brachioplasty will be disappointed by the procedure, but not all.  If skin needs to be removed, there will be a scar that goes with it.

You have options

+2

The key point in the decision is the condition of the skin elasticity. If you have minimal laxity, you may do well with liposuction, or perhaps ultrasound assisted liposuction. This will get rid of excess fat, while encouraging the skin envelope to shrink to the smaller form.

A mini-brachioplasty, as I define it is one that places theincision in the axilla (arm pit) at a right angle to the long axis of the arm. A full brachioplasty extends the incision down the upper arm toward the elbow. I usually do lipo in both instances.

The mini will only tighten skin/tissue from elbow to axilla, while not addressing the skin that hangs down.

You have choices, but you must be evaluated, and surgical planning must take into account what you wish to accomplish, and what you are willing to put up with. The full brachioplasty leaves a visible scar, but if you are OK with that, you may be happy with the result.

I have enclosed a link to my old web site for you to see what is possible.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Start with toning your arms through exercise

+2

The arm lift or Brachioplasty leaves a long scar extending from axilla (armpit) to the elbow. As with any cosmetic surgery it is a trade off: is the scar worth the improvement in contour? For women who have lost a lot of weight and have a lot of hanging skin (bat wings) on their arms, the scar is very worth it. For women who have only a little loose skin the scar would not be worth it. At your age, with only a little loose skin, I think with some exercises to tone up the arms ( think Michelle Obama!) you will probably see quite an improvement and enjoy your new contour.

Susan E. Downey, MD

Brachioplasty scar can be hidden in the armpit

+1
Because you are young and had some weight loss, it might be possible for you to have the skin removed in the armpit. This works to tighten the upper arm only, though, so if you have loose skin that extends down towards your elbow, you probably will need the full lift.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Options Best For You

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to develop excess arm skin after significant weight loss. When this occurs it can represent a significant aesthetic deformity that’s not easily hidden. In most cases treatment involves removal of excess skin but treatment is frequently associated with noticeable scarring of the arms. Patients are often motivated to avoid this scarring by utilizing less aggressive procedures.

Without being able to perform a physical examination, it’s virtually impossible to make a specific treatment recommendation. Unfortunately, after a 45 pound weight loss, a more aggressive procedure is probably indicated. Several surgical options exist for treating this condition, including liposuction, mini brachioplasty and full brachioplasty. The procedure chosen is dependent on the patient’s aesthetic goals and their specific anatomic findings.

In some cases, liposuction may be a viable alternative. When this procedure is utilized, scarring is minimal and results are usually excellent. Unfortunately, this procedure is only effective when fat is present and the skin is relatively tight.

When excess skin is confined to the upper arm in the area of the axilla, a mini-brachioplasty may be effective. This procedure utilizes an incision in the upper arm which is transversely oriented and well hidden. The procedure is helpful when patients have minimal excess upper arm skin and is associated with excellent results.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of patients who have had significant weight loss require more extensive procedures. In most cases, this involves a full brachioplasty with an incision that extends from elbow to axilla. This procedure addresses excess skin in the vertical and transverse dimensions. In most cases, results are excellent, but occasionally adverse scarring can be a problem.

When significant excess skin is present, laser tightening and other non-surgical treatments aren’t effective. For this reason, patients who have significant arm skin sag should consult a board certified plastic surgeon who can formulate an appropriate treatment plan. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift options in Los Angeles

+1

Our office performs non invasive and minimal scar arm lifts to tighten the area around the arms to the level of the elbow. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sagging arms need arm lift

+1

The best indication for an arm lift, and the most gratifying are those who have lost a lot of weight.  The skin is usually flabby and overstretched.  It is simple and effective to remove the skin that has been stretched past its capacity.  No Liposuction, or other noninvasive modalitiy will help the skin become more firm around the arms.  The length and type of the incision will vary depending upon the location and the amount of fat in the arms.  The cost will also vary by geographic locale.  Most will run anywhere from $3500-$7000.  I would advise you to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to have treatment recommendations specific to your concerns.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Mini Arm Tuck or Mini Brachioplasty

+1

there is a type of arm tuck or brachioplasty designed for women who don't have much loose skin. This mini brachipolasty places the scar in the armpit or axilla, and therefore is also called an axillary brachioplasty. Many surgeons who specialize in body contouring after weight loss perform this procedure.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS