How Long After Rhinoplasty Should I Wait to Have Sex?

I've only had my rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago and somehow last night I had sex!!! So, I was wondering if having sex too soon, would that do any damage to my nose?! How long should someone wait before having sex after a nose job?

Rhinoplasty and Sex

+3

Regarding "somehow last night I had Sex".

To answer your question : "I was wondering if having sex too soon, would that do any damage to my nose?" My answer: ONLY if you used your nose to do so.

Seriously -- We tell our patients not to exert themselves to prevent tissue swelling, especially the skin and nasal lining which were lifted off the nose during the surgery. We want it to adhere back to the nose ASAP and establish lymphatic flow which will reduce nose swelling. In telling patients not to engage in sports activities, we try to prevent elbows, rackets, balls or sticks hitting noses that were broken by us and which could be easily be shited sideways where we do not want them to end up.

Reminds me of one of my favorite patients, a young man who required a return visit to the OR after taking a stick hit across the face when foolishly playing lacrosse a week after nose surgery.

Take it easy, JustMe11!

Rhinoplasty and exertion

+2

There's 2 specific factors to consider:

1) Exertion. We want you to avoid activities that cause your heart to race for 3 weeks after surgery. The reason for this is that episodes like this can cause an elevation in your blood pressure, thereby increasing your risk of bleeding and prolonging your swelling.

2) Nasal trauma. We really worry that significant trauma in the first 6-8 weeks after surgery can alter the results of surgery. I've had a couple of memorable patients who smacked their nose after surgery. One did it significantly enough to displace the entire nasal pyramid, thereby prompting another operation. So, in the next few weeks, if you happen to find yourself having sex again, protect your nose at all cost!

Exertion after Rhinoplasty

+1

The nose is a highly vascular organ. We like to have our patients refrain from strenuous activity for 3 weeks after surgery, this includes sexual activity. The reason for this is to cut down on post-operative swelling, but even more importantly to reduce the risk of post-operative bleeding and hematoma. Any activity that raises your blood pressure may cause bleeding from a previously cauterized blood vessel. This could lead to a complications including swelling, scarring and a return trip to the operating room.

JustMe11, I encourage patients to walk and do light activity immediately after surgery, but the strenuous activity needs to be avoided for 3 weeks so try to take it easy for now.

Naples Plastic Surgeon