Possible Ear Cartilage Warping from Rhinoplasty?

I have an appointment for a tiplasty where the tip of my nose will be lifted. The doctor said he will use an ear cartilage strut to do this but as I have done more research I see that ear cartilage "warps".

My question is, what exactly does "warp" mean? What are the chances of it "warping" and is it normal for a doctor to use ear cartilage instead of septum cartilage from someone who has never had a Rhinoplasty done before? Thank you.

Septal cartilage is preferred for rhinoplasty

+1

Indeed, warping can occur from ear cartilage and rib cartilage. Septal cartilage does not tend to warp, bend, or bow. It is always best to have any cartilage grafting performed from the nasal cartilage first. If the nasal cartilage has been depleted, then move on to ear cartilage.

Cartilage Warping

+1

Frank-

Ear cartilage is higly specialized, thin deformable cartilage that is used all the time for nasal surgery, mainly in reconstruction, and primarily in areas where fine-tuning needs to be performed. Warping occurs as the scars heal and contract over time...these forces can uncontrollably deform the cartilage and twist the results.

I am a big fan of ear cartilage in very specific circumstances or when other sources are not readily available, i.e. septal cartilage from inside the nose. Septal cartilage is very rigid and resists deformation over time better than ear cartilage. Again, both are great options in very specific indications. For tip elevation and a tip-plasty, I typically use septal cartilage if it is available. If it is not and we need structurally rigid support, I then move to rib cartilage.

Make sure you excert all your options and see as many Board Certified surgeons as you can to gather as much information as you can with regard to your particular case.

I hope this helps!

Good Luck-

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD

Nasal Cartilage Grafts

+1

The best source of cartilage for nasal grafts is the septum, if available. Warping is the change of shape of cartilage after the graft is placed. Although it is possible with ear or rib grafts, this is very,very rare.

Rhinoplasty tip surgery and grafts

+1

Ear cartilage can be used for rhinoplasty surgery. It tends to be more flexible and therefore give less support than septal cartilage. For that reason, septum is my personal preference for refining the tip. "Warp" refers to the tendency of some cartilages, including ear cartilage, to bend with time and lose their shape. It's hard to predict the actual chance that this might happen given individual variation. Septal cartilage does not have this tendency. You may want to ask your surgeon if there is some reason for not using septum in your case. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Septal cartilage better to provide structure

+1

Ear cartilage, which is thinner than septal cartilage, will warp.  For smaller more delicate uses ear cartilage can be ideal.  For more structural uses septal cartilage tends to be better. 

"Warping" can occur with any cartilage. Why not use the septum?

+1

You have asked some interesting questions. "Warping" is when the cartilage implant bends, or changes shape. This may happen to cartilage implants, but is not usually a problem with the strut you have described.

Ear cartilage is not very straight to begin with--so it's not my first choice for a tip strut. I prefer to use septal cartilage--which is generally much straighter. You mentioned that you had never had a rhinoplasty--but have you had a septoplasty--was cartilage removed from your septum? If so, this may be why the surgeon wants to use ear cartilage. If not, ask if the surgeon can use your septum as the donor for the cartilage.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage warping after rhinoplasty

+1

Cartilage warping after rhinoplasty can occur and may not even be visible until many years after the procedure. The absolute best cartilage for rhinoplasty surgery is your own septal cartilage if it is available. Septal cartilage rarely if ever warps and is always in my opinion the best and should be the first choice. Now if you have had septal surgery before that cartilage may not be available; however, if you have not I would recommend that cartilage be the first choice. You should discuss with your surgeon why he does not wish to use septal cartilage and especially if the purpose is to lift your tip since septal cartilage is inherently straighter, longer, stronger and generally does not warp. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip plasty

+1

All good questions. Warping is when the cartilage actually bends after it is placed in a given pocket.  This can happen with any cartilage graft. Although some surgeons prefer to sue ear cartilage for small grafts, I prefer septal cartilage.  It is stronger.

Ear cartilage can be used for rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Frank,

Ear cartilage is not typically used if you have never had rhinoplasty. It doesn't have the same support as septal cartilage and has a greater chance of warping. It will also leave an unnecessary scar on your ear.

I do use ear cartilage grafts in revision rhinoplasty when there is insufficient septal cartilage or if I am reconstructing missing convexly-shaped portions of the tip that have been over resected.

Ask your plastic surgeon for his rationale.

Good luck!

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septal Cartilage Grafts used during Rhinoplasty Surgery work well to support and elevate your tip.

+1

If you've never had a previous rhinoplasty, I'm not sure why your surgeon is suggesting the use of ear cartilage. Septal cartilage is stronger, straighter, easier to harvest, and won't leave a scar on your ear.

If your surgeon is experienced, you'll get a good answer. If not, please get a second opinion.

I've attached a link to my rhinoplasty photos for your perusal. Just about all of my Rhinoplasty patients have septal cartilage grafts (Columella-struts), since they work well in helping to support and rotate your tip.

I hope this is helpful, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon