How Long Should Chin Strap Be Worn After Chin Liposuction?

My doctor suggests wearing chin strap after chin liposuction 2 weeks all day, and additional 4 weeks at night. But, 2 weeks seems excessive, and the strap will be embarrassing to wear. Just curious if it's really necessary to wear that long. I'm young with elastic skin that seems to go back quickly.

Chin strap for 2 weeks after chin or neck liposuction is ideal, one week is essential

After chin or  neck liposuction a space is created beneath the neck skin where the fat was removed. Blood and fluid can collect in these spaces and interfere with the reattachment of the neck skin to the underlying neck muscles and also cause prolonged swelling. This swelling can interfere with the desired skin tightening that needs to occur on the neck after the fat has been removed.

The purpose of the chin strap after liposuction of the chin or neck is to compress the skin and prevent fluid collection and swelling and encourage the tightening of the lax skin following liposuction fat removal.

Thus the chin strap compression is a very important component of the liposuction procedure.

I prefer my patients wear their chin strap for 10-14 days which I think is ideal. I also suggest they wear the chin strap at night for several weeks after they stop wearing the chin strap during the day.

The pressure exerted by the chin strap definitely helps contour the skin during the healing process.

Recently, many patients object to wearing the strap for so long. I have asked these patients to wear the strap for at least a week, 24 hours a day and then at night for several weeks after.

I also feel it is OK to remove the strap on day 5 to shower the face and hair and wash the chin strap but replace it after that .

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

How long for a chin strap?

My patients are instructed to wear a chin strap day and night for one week and then just at night if it provides them comfort.  It's really important for patients to sleep flat on their back with their chin extended for the first week after surgery and to make sure the strap fits smoothly.  This helps prevent any creases from forming. 

If people comment on the strap when you are out and about, just say you had jaw surgery (or say it's NOYB).

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104-3508

Chin Liposuction - Post Operative Chin Strap

Two weeks is a good duration. You want to prevent any fluid accumulation in the neck that can lead to contour irregularities down the line.

Mohammed Alghoul, MD

675 N St Clair St
Chicago, IL 60611

Chin Dressing for One Week is Enough

After chin liposuction I recommend that patients wear a gentle compression dressing for one week both night and day.  After that, they can wear the dressing at night and during the day at home, but can wear nothing when out of the house.  The most important part of an operation is the operation.  The dressings afterwards help some with swelling and bruising, but will not dramatically change the final end result. 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

2121 North 1700 West
Layton, Utah 84041

Neck strap after lipo for 1 week

If you wore the neck sling the rest of your life it might help you avoid a facelift down the road, but then you'd never get to see your nice jawline.  Practically speaking, I've found very few patients who would wear one longer than a week, though a some have worn it off and on for a few weeks.

Mario Loomis, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

225 Dolson Ave
Middletown, NY 10940

Wearing a chin compression garment is essential after Chin liposuction

The two most important factors to ensure a great result after liposuction of the chin include the quality of the patient's skin and the compliance of the patient with wearing the chin garments afterwards. In our practice, we tell the patients said they cannot wear the garment enough. We recommend that the patients where the garment 24 hours a day at least for the first two weeks after their surgery. After this period, patients should wear their garment as soon as they return home from work and throughout the evening. The garment is essential in ensuring that the skin of the neck draped smoothly over the underlying muscle.

Pat Pazmino, MD

848 Brickell Avenue
Miami, FL 33131

Lipo garment for chin

It is best to wear it for three weeks.  For optimal result it is best to have the compression band on.  

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

1125 South Beverly Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Chin strap after neck liposuction

The timing of the chin strap to be worn after a neck liposuction procedure really depends on the type of neck liposuction technique used by your surgeon.  In my practice, I have my patients where the neck strap 16 hours a day for a week then 8 hours a day for 2 weeks thereafter.  If they sleep in it, it still counts.  However, following the advice of your surgeon is more important than the opinions of other surgeons who have never examined you nor operated on you.  Not all of us perform the same named procedure the same way.  Good Luck!

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

5730 Glenridge Drive
Atlanta, GA 30328

Wearing the neck strap

I ask my patients to wear a neck strap for five to seven days (depends on their back to work plans) and I ask them to wear it while sleeping only for the second week, then I discontiue the neck strap. Most patients are eager to get back to normal. In my experience this has been adequat, but the best advice is to listen to your doctor.

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

2215 Randolph Rd
Charlotte, NC 28207

Chin Straps to be Worn 1 Week Following Chin Liposuction (Both Day & Night)

Chin liposuction is frequently associated with significant swelling in the post-operative period.  For this reason the vast majority of plastic surgeons recommend the use of compressive chin straps.

We generally recommend that chin straps be worn day and night for at least one week following surgery.  This is followed by an additional two weeks of night time usage.

When these maneuvers are utilized in combination with head elevation and low salt diets, swelling resolves and patients are able to quickly resume their normal daily activities.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114