How Long Should Chin Strap Be Worn After Chin Liposuction?

My doctor suggests wearing chin strap after chin liposuction 2 weeks all day, and additional 4 weeks at night. But, 2 weeks seems excessive, and the strap will be embarrassing to wear. Just curious if it's really necessary to wear that long. I'm young with elastic skin that seems to go back quickly.

Neck strap after lipo for 1 week

+3

If you wore the neck sling the rest of your life it might help you avoid a facelift down the road, but then you'd never get to see your nice jawline.  Practically speaking, I've found very few patients who would wear one longer than a week, though a some have worn it off and on for a few weeks.

Middletown Plastic Surgeon

How long for a chin strap?

+3

My patients are instructed to wear a chin strap day and night for one week and then just at night if it provides them comfort.  It's really important for patients to sleep flat on their back with their chin extended for the first week after surgery and to make sure the strap fits smoothly.  This helps prevent any creases from forming. 

If people comment on the strap when you are out and about, just say you had jaw surgery (or say it's NOYB).

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Chin Dressing for One Week is Enough

+2

After chin liposuction I recommend that patients wear a gentle compression dressing for one week both night and day.  After that, they can wear the dressing at night and during the day at home, but can wear nothing when out of the house.  The most important part of an operation is the operation.  The dressings afterwards help some with swelling and bruising, but will not dramatically change the final end result. 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin strap for 2 weeks after chin or neck liposuction is ideal, one week is essential

+2

After chin or  neck liposuction a space is created beneath the neck skin where the fat was removed. Blood and fluid can collect in these spaces and interfere with the reattachment of the neck skin to the underlying neck muscles and also cause prolonged swelling. This swelling can interfere with the desired skin tightening that needs to occur on the neck after the fat has been removed.

The purpose of the chin strap after liposuction of the chin or neck is to compress the skin and prevent fluid collection and swelling and encourage the tightening of the lax skin following liposuction fat removal.

Thus the chin strap compression is a very important component of the liposuction procedure.

I prefer my patients wear their chin strap for 10-14 days which I think is ideal. I also suggest they wear the chin strap at night for several weeks after they stop wearing the chin strap during the day.

The pressure exerted by the chin strap definitely helps contour the skin during the healing process.

Recently, many patients object to wearing the strap for so long. I have asked these patients to wear the strap for at least a week, 24 hours a day and then at night for several weeks after.

I also feel it is OK to remove the strap on day 5 to shower the face and hair and wash the chin strap but replace it after that .

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Chin straps after neck liposuction

+2

I personally ask the patient to wear the chin strap night and day for a week then dispose of it.  I believe it helps compress the tunnels from the liposuction which would otherwise fill up with fluid.  This speeds the recovery as it causes less swelling.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Chin Straps to be Worn 1 Week Following Chin Liposuction (Both Day & Night)

+1

Chin liposuction is frequently associated with significant swelling in the post-operative period.  For this reason the vast majority of plastic surgeons recommend the use of compressive chin straps.

We generally recommend that chin straps be worn day and night for at least one week following surgery.  This is followed by an additional two weeks of night time usage.

When these maneuvers are utilized in combination with head elevation and low salt diets, swelling resolves and patients are able to quickly resume their normal daily activities.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

How long does it chinstrap need to be worn after a neck lift/ liposuction

+1
 In our practice, we do not use chin straps or compression garments, we use Jackson Pratt suction drains for the first 2 days after the procedure. Patient's return to the office 2 days after their surgical procedure and the drains are slipped out from behind the ears. The drains serve the function of removing blood and serous fluid from underneath the neck. For many examples, please see the link below to our neck lift photo gallery

Length of time to wear chin strap

+1

Thanks for the question.  Post-operative care is very important after any surgery.  Your surgeon's recommendations are more than likely based on experience he/she has had in the past and what has aided in having an excellent result from the surgery.  Whether or not it is excessive is going to change per surgeon's personal experiences.  Just keep in mind if you do not follow your surgeon's post-operative recommendations and your result is not what you want, who is to blame?  Best of luck.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD

How long to wear a strap under the chin after chin liposuction

+1

afternoon Tia

I like for my patients to wear this supporting strap under their chin and neck fours long as a week for 24 hours a day if possible. However, many of my patients work or return to social activities sooner than that and cannot wear the supporting garment. So in those instances I have patients where the garment is much as possible and all night every night for two weeks. In some cases when the strap is worn to tightly for too long I found it creates a groove in the tissues themselves so overuse of this garment can be detrimental. So to answer your question I think two weeks is reasonable but I do not have my patients where it 24 hours a day for that period of time.

Best of luck and thank you for your inquiry

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Strap after Liposuction

+1

I prefer to use Laser-Assisted Liposuction (SmartLipo) for the neck area since it causes less swelling and quicker recovery.  The chin strap must fit properly and not cause any crease in the skin.  If worn properly, one week should be sufficient.  After that, it is a only needed if there is residual swelling.  Some patients will wear it intermittently for a second week.

Martin O'Toole, MD