Why Does Botox Make Forehead Look Shiny?

I notice shiny foreheads in Botox users.

Good observation on Botox and shiny skin

+3

Dear Beach,

BOTOX does not just effect the muscles of facial expression. They also have an effect on the pilosebasceous units and the piloerector muscles of the actual skin. Between the freezing of the forehead that is typical for many forehead treatments (think Marcia Cross of Desperate Housewives) and the effect on the skin muscles, the result is this shiny skin. This effect is actually the desired effect of meso BOTOX where tiny doses of Botox are diluted in about 10 milliliters of saline and injected all over the face.
Practitioners of meso BOTOX claim that this treatment creates a glow to the skin.
There is a topical botulinum toxin product under development and although the effects on the bigger lines around the eyes appear to be modest, it is possible that it may be useful to achieve the aesthetic result seen with meso BOTOX.

Botox is being used off label for acne

+3

Botox works for acne by inhibiting the sebaceous glands secretions. This might be why your skin becomes shiney. Also, less wrinkles mean a smoother, shinier surface. It also decreases the sweat gland secretions. Probably a combination of all these factors.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Shiny forehead effect

+2

Greetings~

Botox doesn't have to cause a shine when injected into the forehead.  There are a combination of factors comin in to play that create this shiny, glass-like appearance.  Botox has an effect on not only the muscles of the forehead, which when overly relaxed by perhaps too much botox can cause not only a lack of  any movement but also a smooth, shiny, almost glass-like appearance.  A definite no-no for anyone  that wants to combat wrinkles but still look natural.  Botox can also effect the oil and sweat producing glands in the skin which can also change the overall appearance of the skin.  One more reason that less is best for a great result.  (more can always be added if need be)

Best~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Botox and forehead

+2

The shiny skin is due to better light reflection. The smoother the surface and the less there are surface irregularities (lines/wrinkles), the better the light reflection and the shinier the forehead will look. In someone in their 30s/40s, this looks natural. However, in more mature persons, this can look artificial, especially in contrast to the rest of the face which usually has some lines. The answer to the problem is to inject just enough Botox to relax the lines, while maintainig harmony with the way the rest of the face looks.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Shiny foreheads from botox

+2

Smooth surfaces are more likely to reflect light uniformly and appear shiny. There is no other plausible reason for that.  Its certainly not related to the Botox itself.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shiny forehead

+1

I have never seen a "shiny" forehead from use of Botox or Dysport.

My sense is that this may be a perception based upon the light reflecting on a forehead that may have less wrinkles post botox than pre botox.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and shiny heads

+1

I never saw a shiny head after Botox.  But, you may be seeing an illusion because the muscles are no longer animating and so the forehead appears flatter and may reflect more light.( just a hypothesis)

Oily or shiny forehead after Botox

+1

Any of the oil or sweat glands can be activated by the neurotransmitter that Botox blocks. In some cases this can produce cessation of activity such as dexcreased sweating. But in other circumstances denervation can lead to increased activity of the oil glands. We commonly see this following surgery of the nose, for example following rhinoplasty. Surgery may disconnect nerves which normally travel to the oil glands of the skin. People commonly report an oily nose after nose jobs for this reason. Botox may act in a similar way by "chemically" blocking the nerves and leading to increased activity of the oil glands.

Botox does not make forehead shiny

+1

I can not see how Botox makes anyones forehead shiny since its action is on muscles and not skin texture per se.

If there is such an appearance, I would surmise it is from too high a dosage being placed in the forehead, leading to excessive tightness. Again, one should consult a physician with experience who will give their patients a natural look.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist