I Have 99% Non-pigmented Raised Mole on my Nose. Need a Second Opinion? (photo)

It's where the nostril meets the nose. I have asked a plastic surgeon before and she told me that if it were to be removed it would leave more of a scar than if I were to just leave the mole, but I am pretty self-conscious about it and would like to get a few different opinions. Thanks.

Nose bumps are easily shaved flat and look good afterwards.

+2

Flesh colored bumps on the nose are usually benign fibrous papules and can be shaved flat under local anesthesia very easily.  They have a 50% chance of staying flat forever or returning in a few to several yrs and then can be shaved down again as needed. Once flat they often almost look like nothing was ever there.  Expect to pay roughly $250-350 to shave it down. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD  

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lesion removal

+1

I would recommend that you have a shave biopsy with laser ablation done.  These can be done at the same time and most often produce good results.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Removing a raised mole or lump on the nose

+1

This lump can be removed quite simply with a shave excision, where the area is "shaved" so that it heals level with the surrounding skin.

Sometimes when the lump heals it will raise up slightly, or if it is shaved too much there may be a small indentation (hence most practitioners will err on the side of caution, because it is better to need two surgeries to try to get things perfect than to have a permanent indentation). The aim is to create a normal contour so that it is not possible to tell that there was every any lump.

I would anticipate that it will take 2-3 weeks for the area to grow skin over the top of the treated area. In the meantime you would have a scab or a dressing on the area. Sun protection of all scars is strongly recommended for 12 months to prevent hypopigmentation, hyperpigmentation or uneven scarring. The area would be pinker than the surrounding skin for a few weeks (or occasionally a couple of months) but this could be easily camouflaged with concealer.

If you have a history of keloid scarring I would be very cautious about having surgery on this mole, but if you and/or your family members produce simple scars after injury/surgery then I would not anticipate any significant issue with scarring.

Regarding Dr Schwartz's advice regarding not consulting a plastic surgeon, I can't speak for US plastic surgeons, but as an Australian plastic surgeon I am quite used to doing shave biopsies.

I hope this information helps!

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Shaving moles on the nose is easy

+1

The good news is that growths on the nose are often easily removed using a "shave excision" method. The mole or growth is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective and leaves a minimal scar. The procedure typically takes less than a minute, and is fairly painless. Growths that are removed in this fashion will rarely recur enough to be bothersome. I would not recommend consulting a plastic surgeon as they rarely do shave excisions. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon