I Am a 78 Year Old Female w/ Deep Age Lines. Non Surgical Options?

with fairly deep age lines from eyes, cheeks to chin. I do not want to go the surgery route. Is there a treatment you would recommend, or is it too late? I would like to look in a mirror without wincing.

No great "non-surgical options" for a 78 year-old face

+3

Unfortunately, the only thing that will be of significant benefit for your deep lines is probably a full face laser treatment.  As this is a medically induced second degree burn, it cannot be called "non-surgical."  Obviously neither can a facelift.  So, I'd have to be honest and say that there is no great oipotion for you at this point.  Be glad to be 78 and healthy!

First Question: How is your Health?

+2

Hello, friend in Granada Hills.

78 years of healthy living may mean you are a candidate for a non-surgical process to remove wrinkles. However, if your heart, kidneys, liver  are not in tip-top shape, you probably are not a candidate.

We have performed non-surgical, chemical wrinkle removal on patients older than you. They had to pass a rigid physical exam and be certified as " OK for surgery" by their personal doctor.

If it is only the wrinkles of the face that are bothering you and you can pass the test, then take a look at a chemical peel or intensive laser process. Either can be very effective.

Take a peek at the cover of my consumer-oriented book, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON and you will see the results of the chemical wrinkle removal process that is very effective. The photos will tell the tale.

Then, do some more homework before you decide. But, first, get the thorough physical from your doctor and tell him what you intentions are.

-Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Non-surgical facial rejuvenation

+2

Although it is difficult to assess without a picture at the very least, when surgery is not an option there are a number of nonsurgical options available.  If there is enormous skin laxity with hanging skin over brows and face then I would say that without surgery you won't be helped.  However, if that is not the case and you have wrinkles then Botox can be very helpful in diminishing crows feet around the eyes.  If there are still lines present after Botox treatment they can be filled with a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane or Juvederm as well as in the tear troughs which can have a rejuvenating effect in the eye area.  If the wrinkles are accentuated in the mid-cheek area which they probably are - using an excellent mid-facial volumizer such as sculptra can enhanve volume in the mid face and diminish deep wrinkling in that area.  Radiesse is also an excellent volume filler as well for deep wrinkles in the nasolabial and marionette lines.  Skin rejuvenation with laser can also help with more superficial wrinkles overall texture.

Jeannette Graf, MD
Long Island City Dermatologist

Treatment for deep aging lines of the face

+2

Without photos or a physical examination it is impossible to know what your current condition is or how best to address it. In my experience given your age, treatment constraints etc. it is most likely that some combination of laser, fillers and botox is required. That does not mean it is the best option though. Sometimes surgery is the best option although it may not be the only option.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

See the referenced web page for additional information.

Aaron Stone, MD

Nonsurgical options for deep age lines

+2

For the eye area, Botox may be an option for you.  Some of the lines on the cheeks and chin may be due to loss of soft tissue volume with age.  If this is the case, you may benefit from soft tissue fillers such as Juvederm, Radiesse, Restylane, Sculptra.  You ought to consult with a practitioner in person to get an more accurate assessment of your concerns and options. 

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Deep Facial Lines

+2

At age 78, base on the likely effects of age, sun damage and other factors, the only way to meaningfully address deep facial lines is via facial resurfacing.  The most contemporary form of resurfacing is now performed with fractionated CO2 lasers, which allow treatment of a portion of the surface area of the skin, allowing for more rapid recovery and less risk of hypopigmentation.  The deeper the lines, the more energy and the greater percentage of skin treated to produce quantifiable results.  Unfortunately, with deep lines, there is no free lunch and some downtime is required.  Fillers will help to some degree, but the price result match is less impressive than with resurfacing.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liquid face lifts for 70+ year olds

+1

It is never too late.

A nonsurgical, relatively noninvasive option would be a liquid facelift.  A liquid facelift is when a filler such as radiesse or a hyaluronic acid is injected into the face to restore the volume that has been lost.  To be effective, you will likely need several syringes of product.  Radiesse lasts for 12-18 months and hyaluronic acid lasts for 3-6 months, so this is a solution that would require maintenance at intervals. 

Consulting with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon will help you to determine if you are an appropriate candidate. 

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist