650cc Breast Implants to Get C or D Cups?

I am 5'7" and 165 pounds (I have a large frame and have always been heavier than I look - currently I fit in size 10 pants). My breast size is 36A.

I recently had my first consult for Breast augmentation and given my measurements and desire to be a full C/small D, the doctor recommended moderate profile, silicone 650cc, placed sub-muscularly, because he thinks much smaller and I'll have a large space between. 650 seems huge to me. Is it too big?

Selecting your implants

+2

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  650cc will most likely give you a very full look.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.

Dr. Sugene Kim

650cc implants seems huge to me. Are they too big?

+2

They ARE big and heavy.

I fully agree with the comments by Drs. Whitt, Yuan and Stratis and would like to amplify on their comments.

For lack of a better language to communicate volume we are collectively stuck discussing bra cup sizes - a VERY inaccurate measuring tool. After all, ALL women KNOW that they just fit better in certain manufacturers bras than others. Why? Because EACH manufactuers bra cups are different. If Engineers were to use such divergent and inconsistent measurements no building would have a second floor!

To get THE BEST breast augmentation several factors need to looked at before others.

BREAST COVER FOR THE IMPLANT - without adequate breast coverage the implants will look like two grapefruits under a table cloth. How often have you seen this result? So we start by measuring what you have and pick the implant diameter based on this.

SKIN LAXITY - obviously the laxer the skin, the larger or more projecting implant it allows in. Put another way, two identical twin sisters aged 25; one without children; the other had two. Obviously, the latter breasts would allow larger implants.

CHEST WALL WIDTH - the wider the chest flatness, the more likely a larger (wider) implant is to remain ON the chest rather than sliding to the sides when you lay on your back. So the flat area can sway the choice between a Moderate Profile or a High Profile (narrower base) implant

AND LOCATION OF THE NIPPLES - the implants need to be placed dead center under the nipples wherever they may be.

In MY opinion a 34 A (meaning not a lot of breast cover) would look artificial with 650cc implants. Moreover, the HEAVIER THE IMPLANTS THE FASTER THE BREAST SAGGING. Please, seehttp://www.cosmeticsurgeryspecialists.org/bodyprocedures/breastaugmentation.html#

I would get a second opinion.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS
www.TheBeautyDoctors.com

Breast base diameter is important

+2

Without an exam it isdifficult to say whether or not a 650ml implant would be appropriate. The breast base diameter is an important consideration when compared to the implant diameter. The two should be close to offer the most natural result. Further projection can be achieved with a plus profile implant or even high profile. Placment of implants in a bra offers some guidance in terms of volume, although when placed in the body, some volume loss is appreciated from the demonstration and this should be considered.

Either way, a 650ml implant is on the large side and desires and outcomes should be carefully considered. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Marschall, MD

Implant Size

+1
This may be large however I recommend you try on a variety of sizers at your next consultation to see what works for you. You may find that 650cc may actually give you a good result. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

BREAST SURGERY

+1

I agree 650cc implants are quite large, too often people think size is everything in breast surgery. However, shape is the most important. Consider a second opionon to discuss other surgical options

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Implant Selection Process

+1

Generally speaking,larger implants increase the risk of complications such as implant malposition, which can be very difficult to correct longterm.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Goals for breast augmentation and implant size

+1

It is very difficult to predict what cup size you will be after your procedure.  Cup sizes are not standardized.  So a D cup in one designer could be a C cup or B cup in another designer.   This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant size to achieve C or D cup

+1

At 5'7" 165 lbs theoretically anything over 400cc would achieve a C cup.  There multiple implant styles that can achieve the look you desire.  I recommend searching out a experienced, board certified plastic surgeon for another consultation.  There are some critical measurements that are performed to help determine the best implant for you.  These need to be done by someone experienced.  The distance in between your breasts is not likely to be conquered by using a larger implants and is part of the measurements taken into consideration during a consultation.   

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Breast implants

+1

If you don't trust what your surgeon is recommending go to more consutlations. No one can give you an accurate answer without seeing you.

David E. Kim, MD

Breast implant size

+1

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.