650cc Breast Implants to Get C or D Cups?

I am 5'7" and 165 pounds (I have a large frame and have always been heavier than I look - currently I fit in size 10 pants). My breast size is 36A.

I recently had my first consult for Breast augmentation and given my measurements and desire to be a full C/small D, the doctor recommended moderate profile, silicone 650cc, placed sub-muscularly, because he thinks much smaller and I'll have a large space between. 650 seems huge to me. Is it too big?

External Sizers to Help Determine Correct Amount of CCs

One of the most important discussions facing breast augmentation patients is the size of breast implants that will be used. Most patients are striving for harmony, balance, and proportion with the surrounding anatomic structures. Typically they want a natural look with some fullness in the upper breast area.
Most patients tend to speak in terms of cup size. Unfortunately cup size is not always helpful because manufacturers of bras label their products differently and women don’t always wear their bras the same way. In other words, some women wear their bras snugly, while others wear them loosely. This creates communication problems when talking cup size. It’s virtually impossible to translate cup size into CC’s for this reason.
In an effort to determine breast size in a more objective manner, we utilize external silicone sizers and the Vectra 3D computer imaging system. External silicone sizers are designed to sit on top of the patient’s breasts. They can be held against the patient’s chest or placed inside the patient’s bra. This technique helps the patient visualize what their breasts will look like with a specific sized implant. It also gives them a sense of the volume that will sit on their chest wall and how it feels.
The Vectra 3D imaging system is a relatively new technology that we’ve found to be extremely helpful for determining breast implant size. This system allows patients to visualize different sized implants on their actual body. Patients find this to be extremely helpful.
The ability to visualize your projected surgical result alleviates much of the anxiety associated with this procedure. The use of external sizers and the Vectra 3D imaging system accomplishes this goal. It’s important to remember that final adjustments in the size of breast implants will ultimately be made in the operating room depending on anatomic factors.

650cc Breast Implants to Get to C cup or D Cup

650 cc breast implants may be an appropriate recommendation to move you from A cup to a C or D cup. However the objective may need to be analyzed to determine if you really want to go that large.

There is not a direct correlation between breast implant size and cup size as the cup size varies greatly among companies and even within the same company. Moreover, cup size can vary based on who is performing the measurement.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Consult in person with 2 other experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand better your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

I agree 650cc implants are quite large, too often people think size is everything in breast surgery. However, shape is the most important. Consider a second opionon to discuss other surgical options

Implant Selection Process

Generally speaking,larger implants increase the risk of complications such as implant malposition, which can be very difficult to correct longterm.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Selecting your implants

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  650cc will most likely give you a very full look.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.

Dr. Sugene Kim

Goals for breast augmentation and implant size

It is very difficult to predict what cup size you will be after your procedure.  Cup sizes are not standardized.  So a D cup in one designer could be a C cup or B cup in another designer.   This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Implant size to achieve C or D cup

At 5'7" 165 lbs theoretically anything over 400cc would achieve a C cup.  There multiple implant styles that can achieve the look you desire.  I recommend searching out a experienced, board certified plastic surgeon for another consultation.  There are some critical measurements that are performed to help determine the best implant for you.  These need to be done by someone experienced.  The distance in between your breasts is not likely to be conquered by using a larger implants and is part of the measurements taken into consideration during a consultation.   

Breast implants

If you don't trust what your surgeon is recommending go to more consutlations. No one can give you an accurate answer without seeing you.

David E. Kim, MD

Breast implant size

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Large Breast Implants

Excessively large breast implants never look or feel natural, so the first important factor to consider is implant size. Not only do large implants look odd, they also stretch out breast skin and tend to become very droopy over time. Most patients with excessively large implants end up having multiple operations over time to address problems with implant position ('bottoming out', for example, where implants drop below the desired level of the inframammary fold), implant visibility, and overstretched skin. If the goal is a natural-appearing breast augmentation, then most patients will require an implant volume between 250cc and 450cc. A petite patient looking for a B-cup to C-cup transition may need a 275cc implant for example, while a tall, broad-shouldered patient looking for an A-cup to C-cup transition may require a 425cc implant.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon