Im 60, and Have Had Acne Scars. What Would the Procedure Be for Me?

I've had dermebrasion, mini facelift and recently the laser with fillers. I still have scars. Should I just get a full facelift? The pulling of the skin does make my scars go away plus I could get some weinkles done, but is that best for me for acne?

Best Procedure for Acne Scars

+1

Thank you for your question. A facelift is not usually the best procedure for acne scarring, and usually better for facial laxity.  Sometimes scar excision is needed, then resurfacing again.  Resurfacing can sometimes require 2-3 treatments to see the full effect. For best and safest results, be sure to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon who has expertise in acne, scarring, and various skin types.  I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Hello

+1

In our practice we like to tell our patients that you have a few different options. Without and exam or pictures it’s very hard to give you adequate advice. We recommend DOT laser, Profractional laser or a series of VI Peels. That would have to be determined after an exam. You should see a PS to give you accurate advice. If you have tried all lasers the next step would be the mini or full facelift that does stretch out the skin making the acne scars less visible.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Treatments for Persistent Acne Scarring

+1

A face lift is not the answer to correcting persistent acne scars. It is really difficult to recommend any best treatment without seeing pictures or being able to evaluate you in person. It sounds like you have tried many treatments with little success. Filler usually works very well for broad-based, atrophic, depressed scars.  Pitted and ice-pick scars typically do well with resurfacing techniques such as electrosurgery or with punch excision. I am not a fan of lasers for acne scarring as I think the results are mostly related to swelling and temporary. Point being, you need to be evaluated by an expert in treating acne scars and a face lift is not the answer.

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Acne scarring

+1

I would definitely not recommend a face lift for acne scars.  I think fractionated laser (ablative or non-ablative) is by far the best way to go.  You will need a lot more treatments with the non-ablative fractionated laser (Fraxel) than if you had ablative treatments (Pearl fractional).  Localized stubborn areas of scarring could be treated with subscision, chemical peel, punch excision etc. The lasers will also have the effect of improving your wrinkling.

Peter J. Jenkin, MD, FAAD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scars are best treated with a multilayered approach

+1

There are breakthroughs being done in the Acne Scar Treatment area. We believe in the multilayered approach. There is nothing magic it to it but with some hard work put in for the first week, you can get some pretty good results.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon