Is 58 Years of Age Too Old for a Tummy Tuck? I Weigh 155 Lbs and Have Lost 25 Lbs.

Tummy tuck preparation

+2

I think you've done all the right things in preparation for your tummy tuck surgery. Further weight loss is not necessary.

I do however have a word of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.

It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively.

Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

58 is NOT too old for a tummy tuck

+2

As long as you are healthy and active a tummy tuck can be great for a person your gae. In fact, look at before and after photos on the websites of plastic surgeons including my own and you will likely see a wide range of ages for many plastic surgery procedures including tummy tucks

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Age and tummy tuck surgery

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.   Your overall health status rather than age is what is important.   Your plastic surgeon will review your past medical and surgical history to make sure you are a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

58 too old for a tummy tuck??

+1

As long as you are healthy 58 is by no means too old to have a tummy tuck. If you have loose skin and it's bothering you I'd say so something about it! Best of luck, Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Not too old

+1

A person's "biologic" age is more important than her "chronologic" age in determining risk for surgery.  As long as you are reasonably healthy, a non-smoker, and have been cleared by your primary care doctor to have a procedure that lasts about 3 hours under general anesthesia, then, at 58, you are not too old to have a tummy tuck.  Think of all the wonderful years you have left to enjoy the "new you"!

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for You

+1

Certainly your age and weight are not a contraindication for proceeding with tummy tuck surgery as long as you are in good health and not a smoker. I have operated on many patients several years older. I would encourage you to proceed.

Richard Linderman, MD

Age is not the most important issue.

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss! Age is not the main issue in tummy tuck surgery. Health is.

If you are healthy and your weight and shape look favorable, a tummy tuck can work out great. My oldest patient was 73 at the time I did the operation and did very well.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Too old for a tummy tuck?

+1

I have done tummy tucks on patients in their 50's and they have done great.  It is critical that they be in excellent physical health and that they are very motivated to recover well and will do what it takes to participate in that recovery.  See excellent board certified plastic surgeons and be sure your own doctor feels you are healthy for this surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck candidate?

+1

Age is not the critical factor, but good health is, so make sure your family doctor is up to date on any changes in your medical health. It’s also important to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon who is professionally bound to engage only in techniques that have been deemed safe--after rigorous testing. You also want to make sure you're having surgery at an accredited surgical facility with all board-certified anesthesiologists. Make sure your you understand what surgery entails, that your  expectations are realistic and you have an understanding of the commitment needed for the healing process.

You should also know that while it used to be that a tuck was the only option for a woman with a bulging tummy, today liposuction can often be performed to reduce the midriff bulge.  Sometimes liposuction combined with Thermage will give you further tightening and improvement in the contour. However, people who have especially slack skin in their midsection need more than what liposuction can offer. Typical candidates for this surgery are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD