Is 58 Years of Age Too Old for a Tummy Tuck? I Weigh 155 Lbs and Have Lost 25 Lbs.

Tummy tuck preparation

+2

I think you've done all the right things in preparation for your tummy tuck surgery. Further weight loss is not necessary.

I do however have a word of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.

It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively.

Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

58 is NOT too old for a tummy tuck

+2

As long as you are healthy and active a tummy tuck can be great for a person your gae. In fact, look at before and after photos on the websites of plastic surgeons including my own and you will likely see a wide range of ages for many plastic surgery procedures including tummy tucks

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Is 58yo too old for a tummy tuck? I weigh 155 lbs and have lost 25 lbs.

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

58 Year Old Tummy Tuck Patient

+1
An in-person consultation with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon is the best way to determine if a tummy tuck is suitable for you. Your general physical and mental health are far more important when considering a tummy tuck than just your age.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Too old for tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. Age is not a contraindication to surgery. Poor health is. If you are a healthy adult, and interested in a tummy tuck surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. He or she will assess you as a patient for any risks you might have. The biggest risks are heart disease, diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, and previous history of deep venous thrombosis.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Age and tummy tuck surgery

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.   Your overall health status rather than age is what is important.   Your plastic surgeon will review your past medical and surgical history to make sure you are a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

58 too old for a tummy tuck??

+1

As long as you are healthy 58 is by no means too old to have a tummy tuck. If you have loose skin and it's bothering you I'd say so something about it! Best of luck, Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Not too old

+1

A person's "biologic" age is more important than her "chronologic" age in determining risk for surgery.  As long as you are reasonably healthy, a non-smoker, and have been cleared by your primary care doctor to have a procedure that lasts about 3 hours under general anesthesia, then, at 58, you are not too old to have a tummy tuck.  Think of all the wonderful years you have left to enjoy the "new you"!

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for You

+1

Certainly your age and weight are not a contraindication for proceeding with tummy tuck surgery as long as you are in good health and not a smoker. I have operated on many patients several years older. I would encourage you to proceed.

Richard Linderman, MD