Can I Lose Weight After Breast Reduction?

I'm 44 5'6, 165lbs w/40ddd sagging heavy breasts that are very dense and I want to be a 38d cup. I have neck and back pains daily. I plan on losing 20 lbs, but my surgery is scheduled this month,if i have the breast reduction and lift now and lose the 20lbs after the surgery will my breast start sagging or have any other problems from losing the weight. I will lose the weight with a daily exercise and healthy eating routine. I cant delay surgery because school starts in January what should I do?

Losing weight after breast reduction

+2
Losing weight following your breast reduction may influence your results depending on the amount of weight lost and your unique physiology. It could contribute to sagging or a further decrease in breast size. On the other hand, it may not affect your results at all. It is difficult to say for sure.

I usually recommend that my patients reach their stable and ideal weight before pursuing surgery. This improves surgical outcome and reduces the risks associated with surgery.

Timing of Breast Reduction and Weight Loss

+2

Hi there-

I have had many patients like yourself over the years....

In most cases, responsible plastic surgeons would agree that having the procedure after your weight loss is complete would significantly lower the risks that your breasts change as a result of the weight loss- causing you to be a bit less happy than you could have been, and increasing the risk of needing a touch up procedure after the weight loss.

On the other hand, I have had many patients in your position remind me how difficult it is to exercise for fitness and lose weight with heavy breasts hanging off of your body, and indeed know that many women's weight loss was greatly facilitated by having their breasts reduced...

I would say that if you think you are able to exercise, and your school schedule permits, your chances of being happy with a single procedure are greater if you wait until you are at a stable weight.

If you would rather (for convenience's sake, or to simplify exercise) proceed sooner, and are willing to accept an increased risk of needing a revision after your weight loss, then It would be acceptable to proceed now.

I hope that helps you!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction and Weight loss?

+1

The cosmetic result of a breast reduction is usually stable provided the weight does not change significantly after surgery; should this be the case, the shape and fullness of the breast might be affected.

As this is an important decision and all being well, this is the only breast reduction/procedure you will have, my advise would be to post pone the operation until you are totally satisfied with your wait, to reduce any chance not to be satisfied afterwards.

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Lose Weight after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

It is usually best to be as close as possible to your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with this operation. Additional weight loss after the breast reduction surgery may result in  additional decrease in breast size and or “drooping”. These changes may necessitate further surgery.

You should weigh these potential changes associated with weight loss after breast reduction surgery  against your school/time off scheduling factors.

Weight Loss Before or After Breast Reduction

+1

It is usually better to lose the weight before your surgery because your breast can change after losing the weight post-surgery. You don’t want to have the procedure and then not be happy with your final results. However, many women find sticking to a diet/exercise program is easier to follow through with after having a positive cosmetic surgery experience.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after reduction

+1

Lose the weight first and then have your reduction.  This will give your surgeon the best shot at the size and shape of breast you want and you will be healthier to under go surgery at a lighter weight.  Overweight and obese patients have higher risks and complications.  Remember, this is a procedure that is going to affect the rest of your life.  You want to go about it the right way.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Weight loss and Breast Reduction

+1

A 20lbs loss after surgery is not likely to change the result much, but there might be the need for a small amount of skin tightening later.

James M. Kurley, MD
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and breast reduction

+1

If you are definitely going to lose the weight, you are probably better off waiting to undergo the breast reduction.  They will probably sag more and deflate with weight loss.

Lose Weight After Breast Reduction

+1

It is a "damned if you do or damned if you don't" question. Best to reschedule the operation til aftyer you have lost at least 15 pounds of the planned 20 pounds weight lose goal. Than you can not blame the weight loss after the operation if you begin to sag again. But I find most patients are unrealistic in their goals and just delay the surgery for months withoput losing the desired weight. It is your decision not ours! 

Weight and breast reduction

+1

It is always better to get to your target weight if possible before body contouring procedures like breast reductions. In fact, some insurance companies will demand it before they pay. If you decide not to, you must be aware of the ramifications. If you tell a surgeon you plan to lose a significant amount of weight after a reduction, a couple of things might happen. Some doctors will under-reduce expecting some loss of volume post-op. If you don't lose the weight or it doesn't affect the breasts, you could be left with larger breasts than you would ideally like. Other surgeons might ignore this planned weight lose and then when you do lose the weight, it might come off of the breast, leaving you with smaller, more saggy breasts. 

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD