40 Units of Botox didn't work?

I had 40 units of Botox injected for my 11s. 6 Days later its not working at all. I still have full movement. I'm a man in my 40s with a large build and I exercise a fair amount and eat healthy. Is this common? Did I receive enough Botox? What can I do now? What is recommended?

Small percentage of patients with movement regardless of dosage

+1

While it's not common, there is a small percentage of patients who will retain muscle activity regardless of the dosage of Botox administered. If this is your first time being treated, wait 2 weeks and follow up with your physician. He/she can then re-treat this area.

Will 40 units of Botox fix 11's?

+1

40 units of Botox in this area should at least do something in tis area. I think that you need to wait another week before doing anything. If you still have no results see your doctor again.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Still need to wait awhile...but

+1

40 units is a fair amount of botox for the glabella...but not an awful amount for a big guy...some heavily muscled men might require as much as 60 units or even more...if you previously had botox and were pleased...you should require the same amount...but by 6 days you ought to see some improvement...if you don't by 2 weeks...then definitely a return visit is in order...I assume you saw a reputable practitioner...certainly there are issues with not receiving what you think you're getting in some of the discount clinics...so be careful...by the way...the picture associated with your name doesn't portray you as having extraordinarily large muscles...if this is indeed the case...20-30 units might be sufficient

Ken Landow, MD

Botox for 11s

+1

Botox is used to reduce movement in overactive muscles which are causing lines and wrinkles. If there is a deep "11"in the glabellar region at rest (when you are not frowning), it will likely take multiple treatments with botox to make the line go away. This process usually requires injections every 3-4 months for about a year.

After each successful botox treatment, you will temporarily weaken the overactive muscles, which over time will cause these muscles to atrophy and improve the 11s.

If the area between your eyebrows is still moving significantly after your treatment, you should see your doctor again. 40 units is a large dose, but in the rare male patient with very strong glabellar muscles an even higher dose is sometimes needed. I would wait until at least 2 full weeks after your treatment to make sure the botox is having its full effect.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

40 Units of Botox didn't work?

+1

Botox usually takes a full 7-10 days to fully kick in before seeing your end result, Its best you return to your medical provider if youre still not seeing a difference

No response to Botox treatment

+1

40 units for just the glabellar is a large dose and should be enough to stop muscle movement causing the "11s".. It may not have fully set in, since 2 weeks is the amount of time required for complete effect. With thicker, deeply creased male skin, Botox may only softened the lines, but there should be little, if any, glabellar push. You may need filler in conjunction with Botox for desired results. With treatments repeated every 3 months for the next 1 to year to 2 years, the skin often is able to rejuvenate without the need for filler. If you are still able to bring your brows together after two weeks, a follow up with your injector is advised.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

40 Units of Botox for Frown Lines

+1

40 units should be sufficient. Botox takes 7-10 days to take full effect. Wait the 10 days. If still nothing, go back to your provider.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD