Okay to Lose Weight After Lower Body Lift?

33y/o Female, 23BMI, Lost 165lb, Want LBL. Lose 10lb After Lift Okay? Not Skin Fr LBL, WL. I had duodenal switch weight loss surgery. I'm still slowly losing weight due to activity level. Bariatric dr estimated likely lose another 20lb between months 18 - 24 bariatric procedure post-op; however, had a significant AC Joint injury so can't exercise much right now, thus stopped losing weight & have maintained for last 6 wks at 23 BMI post-op mo. 19. Given injury healing time, I guess I will lose another 10 - 15lb instead. Opinions on LBL at post-op mo. 22? OK if lose 10lb after LBL?

Want to lose another 10 lbs. AFTER lower body lift--is this OK?

+2

Actually, this will not likely make a huge difference in your appearance or degree of residual skin laxity, but if you are still losing after you regain your normal activity levels, I would advise stabilizing your weight at its final, healthy level before undergoing this operation. It is a big procedure (we have done over 250 in the past 14 years in our outpatient, accredited office surgical facility), and you really don't want to have to re-do it because your skin is again too loose! 10 pounds may not be "too much" additional loss for someone with "normal" skin tone, but many of my massive weight loss patients have lost a significant amount of elasticity that does not return even after lower body lift, so there is a sensitivity to even a small amount of additional weight loss that I am concerned about (in terms of your best result).

Also, realize that your surgeon may actually REMOVE 10 lbs. of skin and fat during your body lift. I have removed as much as 31.4 lbs. in a patient who underwent outpatient lower body lift at our office surgical facility. My partner and I routinely remove 10, 15, 20, or more pounds as I have just indicated, in the course of our circumferential belt lift (lower body lift) procedures. It is much more important for you to be at a stable healthy weight so that you will heal properly and optimally! It sounds as if your schedule may be driving this wish for surgery at post-op month 22; while I understand that there are many factors regarding timing (help, time off work, vacation schedule, etc.), please do this right! You now know how! Best wishes and congratulations on your stellar loss!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Weightloss before Total Body Lift

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss.  There should be no problem with having a body lift with a BMI of 23.  Ideally, I ask my patients to reach a stable body  for about 4 to 6 months.  Also I recommend that you settle on a reasonable body weight.  If losing 10 to 20 pounds more is difficult, then you shouldn't even try .  That is, it will not make a significant difference in your overall cosmetic results.

Phillip Chang, MD
Leesburg Plastic Surgeon

WEIGHT LOSS AFTER BODY LIFT

+1
Congratulations on losing 165 lbs.  That is quite an accomplishment.  Without a physical exam it is difficult to say definitively, but since you have a very healthy BMI and an active lifestyle you should be a good candidate for a lower body lift.   However, in my opinion a good candidate for any cosmetic surgery has been at their goal weight for at least three months so if you are still trying to lose those last 10 lbs I recommend waiting to have surgery until after you lose the weight.  Significant weight gain or weight loss after surgery could possibly alter your results and create a need for additional procedures.  Now, depending on your frame 10 lbs may not be considered a significant amount of weight but I would still recommend waiting to have surgery until you’ve reached your weight loss goal. Be sure to research only board certified plastic surgeons that have experience in working with massive weight loss patients.  Then schedule a consultation for a thorough exam to confirm that you are a good candidate for a lower body lift.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Losing Weight after surgery

+1

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your weight loss.

You should be at your baseline / stable weight prior to having surgery (or as close to it as possible).  During the recovery process, you may have some weight gain/loss and that does not affect the results (usually not more than 10 pounds), but if you lose a significant amount of weight after any type of surgery then it will affect the results.  After the tummy tuck surgery, if a patient loses 15 pounds or more, they will notice loose skin.

The recovery process is very important (and a bit difficult) but as long as you have realistic expectations and someone to help you through the recovery, you should be fine.

Best Wishes

Lower body lift

+1

It is always best to reach your ideal weight although a 10 lb weight loss is not significant. you will loose some weight with the lower body lift. Good luck

David L. Abramson, MD

A few more pounds? Lower body lift effects?

+1

If you are only planning to lose another 10 pounds, it should not significantly affect your body lift.  If you were planning to lose 20 or more pounds, I would suggest trying to do that before your surgery.  Good luck!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Lower body lift and weight loss

+1

Although you like to be at your ideal body weight, I doubt that a 10 pound difference will make a big difference. You probably can have the body lift now and lose that weigth after wards.

Cosequences of Losing 10 pounds AFTER Lower Body Lift

+1

Regarding: "33y/o Female, 23BMI, Lost 165lb, Want LBL. Lose 10lb After Lift Okay? Not Skin Fr LBL, WL. I had duodenal switch weight loss surgery. I'm still slowly losing weight due to activity level. Bariatric dr estimated likely lose another 20lb between months 18 - 24 bariatric procedure post-op; however, had a significant AC Joint injury so can't exercise much right now, thus stopped losing weight & have maintained for last 6 wks at 23 BMI post-op mo. 19. Given injury healing time, I guess I will lose another 10 - 15lb instead. Opinions on LBL at post-op mo. 22? OK if lose 10lb after LBL?"

Ideally, your weight should be stable for 6 months before undergoing a Lower Body Lift. The operation is a life changing operation and although it will dramatically improve your appearance it is NOT static. Like all of us you will continue to age and tissues damaged by the rapid expansion of obesity will continue to slowly give resulting in some later sagging. With a great BMI of 23 and a nice underlying body,in the big picture, 10 additional pounds of lost weight is not a lot and should not result in massive sagging. If you want to proceed with your surgery now to reward yourself with the figure you worked so hard to get, by all means go for it.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Weight Loss after Body Lift

+1

If you have lost 165 pounds and currently have a BMI of 23, there should be no problem with undergoing your lower body lift at this time.  A 10 pound weight loss later will not  adversely effect your result to a significant degree.

John Whitt, MD