Liposuction After Giving Birth

27 Yrs Old Just Had a Baby a Month Ago and Want to Get Lipo is It Too Soon After a Baby ?

Liposuction After Giving Birth

+2

Great question. I recommend a wait of 3 to 4 months to allow full recovery. But if you are breasting than 3 months after you stop breast feeding. Congrads on the birth Be h appy

Wait at least 6 months

+1
Before moving ahead with the procedure, you should be sure that you have fully recovered from pregnancy. We usually recommend waiting a minimum of six months after delivery before scheduling liposuction in order to give the body enough time to completely heal. Women with young children should also make child care preparations prior to surgery since treatment requires a week or two of recovery before normal activities can be resumed.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction is best done close to ideal body weight

+1

You will heal better if surgery, including liposuction, is done when you are close to ideal body weight.  You should try to exercise and diet to come close to the pre-pregnancy weight before liposuction.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Timing for elective surgery following childbirth

+1

Hello elis83:

I would recommend waiting at least 3-6 mos. before considering the liposuction; it takes time for your body to recover from the pregnancy, let alone getting into the routine of a new baby  and then adding some stress with a surgery.  Take the time to seek out several consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons and enjoy the new baby. Good luck

Jerry Lugger, MD

Liposuction - How Soon After Delivery Can I Get Lipo?

+1

Hi elis83 in Chicago, IL,

I would advise waiting about 3-6 months after your delivery (congrats, btw) and at least three months after you've finished breast-feeding (if you are).  It takes a while for your body to shrink after all that, and it's hard to plan a procedure until you've seen what your body has done on its own.  You might think that lipo will give your the result you want, but then, 6 months later, realize that you also (or instead) need some skin tightening.  One month post-delivery is just too soon.

Give your body a chance to contract ("shrink") on its own and then - if necessary (maybe it won't be!) - you can consider a procedure to "help it along..."

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Liposuction after childbirth

+1

You should definitely wait until your body has returned to your pre-pregnancy state prior to undergoing a liposuction procedure.  For most patients, this would mean waiting 6-9 months following childbirth.   

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

This is an easy and short answer--Please wait!

+1

In general, I ask women requesting elective surgery to wait at least three menstrual periods after childbirth (if NOT breast-feeding), or three menstrual periods after completion of breast-feeding, before undergoing cosmetic surgery (not only of the breasts, but anywhere in the body). This is because there are profound physiologic changes related to the hormonal shifts that occur with pregnancy. These are not trivial.

Since liposuction is elective, and since your body has not returned to its new normal after delivery, why risk a poor result or even a higher risk of complication while your body is still a "moving target?"

Wait for at least 3 months (6 would be better), and concentrate on your baby for now. He or she needs your undivided attention more than you need lipo! Your results will be better as well if your surgeon has a stable-weight, and hormonally-normalized patient to operate on! Best wishes for you and your baby!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after pregnancy

+1

I would wait a good six months or at least until you get down to your pre-pregnancy weight before considering liposuction.

Too early

+1

Please wait till you are back to normal weight. Enjoy your baby and wait till you back to your normal weight.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after pregnancy

+1

One month after pregnancy may be a bit too soon to get the best from liposuction. It would be unusual to have reached your pre-pregnancy weight, and remember liposuction is a shaping and sculpture procedure. You will get the best results when your body is fully back to 'normal'.

peterejohnsonmd