2 Months Post Breast Augmentation Uneven? (photo)

Hello! I recently had a breast augmentation a few days shy of two months ago. My left breast has dropped very nicely but right one has not only not seemed to drop very much it actually looks much smaller than the left. I had 380 cc's under the muscle sientra implants. Please any advice would be really appreciated. I've included a before, one month post op, and one from today(a few days away from two months)

Post-op breast augmentation

It is too early to get excited. It will take 3-4 months for the final result to be apparent. From your photos, the asymmetry you have now is similar to pre-op asymmetry, but it will soften over time and not be as obvious.

Tight Pocket

It appears that the implant on the right is sitting in a tight pocket. That can make it appear smaller. If it also feels firmer, then that would be my answer. It is possible for the skin to stretch a bit and for the implant to settle. I would put you in a bandeau to try and apply pressure on the top of the implant and help it work it's way down.
If it hasn't settled by about 6 months, then it would be reasonable to go ahead and try to open up the pocket a little more surgically just to lower the implant. If you have textured sientra implants, they are less likely to drop. Talk to your doc about these issues.

Asymmetry Following Augmentation

Nipple position, inframammary fold position, and other anatomic features that demonstrate asymmetry before surgery may very well demonstrate asymmetry following surgery.  

The best option when questions arise post-operatively is to call your own surgeon. Have him or her evaluate you and address your concerns as only they know exactly what was done during surgery as well as what your discussions, concerns and expectations were before surgery.

Having another surgeon, who knows none of this, address these questions is unfair to your own surgeon and may provide you with misinformation that will yield more confusion and concern and potentially strain the relationship with your own surgeon.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Breast Augmentation and High Implant

The right implant is higher and does appear smaller.  However, if the pocket is tight, this would explain the look.  The difficulty will be getting the implant down in the next 2 months or so.  If after 6 months the breast looks the same, the pocket can be opened.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughes Breast Augmentation Los Angeles, CA

Yes I agree that the right breast has not/nor will it drop. You will need revision of the right inferior quadrant. 

Breast Asymmetry

Preoperative breast asymmetries are not all correctable when doing an augmentation, especially when the inframammary folds are different and/or one breast is more lateral on the chest than the other.  In fact, some asymmetries are more noticeable when the breast are larger.  Your results are due to your asymmetry present preoperatively.  Sometimes, a minor revision can improve the asymmetry, but you likely will never be able to make them exactly even.  I would recommend that you discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon.

Breast Augmentation

Dear Real Self reader:

Which breast do you like better?  I would need more details to fully answer your question.  You had asymmetry before the surgery as you can see. The immediate postop photo also shows the left breast to be higher as does the preop photo. The delayed after shows the left breast implant to be much lower.  

Jay H. Ross, MD, FACS
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

You can see from the photographs that the left breast implant is lower than the right. What is the cause of the right being higher is it a tighter pocket or is it a capsular contracture? What I would suggest is a thorough examination by your surgeon. It could take up to six months before you decide what to in order for the healing process to be complete. At that point your surgeon may want to lower the right breast implant for whatever the cause or slightly elevate the pocket on the left implant also . Good luck 

Asymmetry

You have pre existing asymmetry and this is also reflected post operatively. The infra mammary crease appears higher post op on the right but i need to see a photo with your arms elevated to be more precise. You are early in the post op period. Give your breasts more time to heal.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry After Surgery

Dear Emily,

Thank you for sharing your photos along with your post.

It seem that the pre-op photo shows an asymmetry in your breasts where the left breast is a little more ptotic than the right one. This asymmetry has been carried along after the surgery was performed.

Unfortunately, without knowing the full details of your surgery it is not possible to provide you with a solid explanation. It would have been great if you could share whether the surgeon did use different sizes of implants in each breast or not during the surgery. Another potential aspect to consider would be the size of the pockets in which the implants sit.

At 2 months post-op, there may be a slight room for more dropping of the implants to happen as mother nature works its way.

I encourage you to follow your surgeon's instructions religiously and to be a little more patient.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.
I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS