What is the Sientra Breast Implant?
Doctor Answers 21
Which brand of breast implants is best?
I strongly recommend selecting your surgeon based on training, experience and aesthetic sensibility rather than on the basis of which brand of breast implant they typically use.
You can give two chefs the same recipe but the outcome may be very different. Take time doing research on your plastic surgeon. Excellent surgical training and lots and lots of consistent photos are a must.
Have a question? Ask a doctor
Sientra breast implants
Sientra 'Gummy Bear' Breast Implants
You might also like...
In March of 2012, Sientra Corporation Silimed brand implants were made available in the US. Sientra was the first company to obtain approval from the FDA for use of their shaped silicone gel implants. These implants contain a silicone gel that is more cohesive, and has a slightly firmer feel than traditional smooth round silicone gel implants. The manufacturer terms the silicone filler "HSC+" which stands for High Strength Cohesive +. Round implants from this company contain a slightly less stiff and less cohesive implant that is filled with a gel simply called HSC. We can consider the round implants to represent the "4th Generation" of silicone breast implants and the shaped implant the "5th Generation".
Focusing primarily on the Sientra Shaped HSC+ implants, they do appear to have notable differences from the offerings of other companies: Allergan 410 and Mentor CPG implants. These differences relate to variation in surface, filler, and shape options.
The surface texturing of the Sientra HSC+ implants is created by a technique that is different from other manufacturers by avoiding the process of scrubbing, salting or stamping the shell. These methods of creating a rough surface on the shell (necessary to discourage rotation of these shaped devices) are thought by some to have significant negative effects.
Studies have shown that the differences in the amount and design of the cross-linking of the Silicone molecules comprising the silicone gel in the devices produced by the three silicone implant manufacturers leads to variations in several areas. This research has indicated that the Sientra shaped implant had the least cohesive gel when compared to the Mentor CPG and Allergan 410 implant. In the round implant version, the Allergan implant was the least cohesive and the Sientra round implant was the most cohesive. It is important to understand that cohesiveness does impact the amount of wrinkling and capsular contracture rates of the implant: lower rates of these events are seen with higher degrees of cohesiveness. The untoward effect of higher cross-linking and cohesivity is a propensity to gel-fracture and excessive firmness. Therefore a balance must be reached to achieve a soft, stable breast. Sientra implants were constructed to do this by reducing the stiffness through less cross-linking, but maintaining the form stability by increasing adherence of the silicone gel to the implant shell.
Currently, Sientra HSC+ implants are available in 3 footprints: Classic (taller with moderate projection), Round (less tall than the Classic with high projection), and Oval (least tall with low, moderate, and high projection styles). The classic base is preferred for women with long chest and low base of the breast. The oval shape works better in women who want more cleavage with less upper pole fullness and in women with a wide chest and breast width. Lastly, the round shape does a better job of expanding the lower part of the breast in women who want a smoother upper pole breast-chest transition; in women with a tight lower pole of the breast (constricted breasts), this is the best footprint to select.
Finally, contracture rates and rupture rates appear to be the lowest in these 5th generation shaped implants (from all manufacturers). This realization has led to Sientra extending this belief in the longevity of the product in the form of their unique C3 capsular contracture warranty. This provides coverage for two years from the date of the augmentation if the patient develops a Baker Grade III or IV contracture. The patient is provided a free replacement implant if they develop this problem within this period.
Having attended preceptor training with the foremost US surgical authority in Sientra HSC+ implants, I can honestly say that these implants are truly game-changers. They represent a quantum leap in technology and advance the art of breast augmentation in ways that US plastic surgeons could only dream of 2 years ago.
Sientra Implants - What You Should Know
Cohesive Gel "Gummy Bear" Implants
Sientra offers cohesive gel implants in a variety of round and anatomical shaped sizes as well as smooth and textured surfaces. The cohesive gel implant is made from a form stable gel, rather than a liquid. If a cohesive implant was to develop a tear, the thick silicone form- stable gel prevents any rupture and will retain its shape.
The patented textured surface of the Sientra implants offers support and predictability during the placement of the implant and prevents potential migration of the implant over time.
During your consultation with your plastic surgeon it is important for you to discuss your goals of breast augmentation to help determine which type of implant will be suited for the best aesthetic outcome.
The Sientra Breast Augmentation Implant
Breast augmentation, by necessity, requires the placement of breast implants. It is important to understand that there are various companies that make implants and the newest one is Sientra. Sientra distinguishes itself from the other companies by the following.
- Sientra silicone gel breast implants or gummy bear implants have very high strength cohesive silicone gel with a "flat back design" to create an optimal shape on the chest wall, even if you have a round rib cage, irregular rib deformities or thin skin.
- The top breast augmentation implant warrantee with every Sientra implant coming with a 10 year warranty, offering $3600 of financial assistance and coverage for both implants, in addition to complete size range changes at no additional charge.
- Capsule contracture is always a concern with breast augmentation and if you get a capsule in the first two years after a breast augmentation with Sientra breast implants, they will replace your implants.
- The high strength cohesive gel or gummy bear implant is safe, feels very natural. Its shape mimics your breast tissue but retains its integrity even under extreme circumstances.
- The Sientra implant has a 33 year record in Europe where it is sold by a company called Silimed. The safety profile is unparalleled.
- Although Sientra is a new name in the U.S., they have a 33-year track record of manufacturing excellence outside of the U.S. The implants are manufactured in Brazil by Silimed manufacturing.
- Studies have shown that the complication and revision rates with Sientra implants are about the same as other silicone breast implants, but the incidence of wrinkling and capsular contracture rates are reduced.
- These studies suggest that Sientra implants may be a good option for thin women who are prone to breast implant wrinkling.
- Sientra implants do not require binding, special bras or massage. This makes them perfect for the 24 hour breast augmentation recovery program.
I hope that helps.