What is the Sientra Breast Implant?

Which brand of breast implants is best?

+5
In my opinion Sientra , Natrellle and Mentor breast implants are somewhat  similar in profile, performance and durability.  No single company provides every size I would like to use for my patients, so I use more than one brand. I feel like it is my responsibility to know about all the implants,their sizes, shapes and unique characteristics.

I strongly recommend selecting your surgeon based on training, experience and aesthetic sensibility rather than on the basis of which brand of breast implant they typically use. 

You can give two chefs the same recipe but the outcome may be very different. Take time doing research on your plastic surgeon. Excellent surgical training and lots and lots of consistent photos are a must.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Great question.

+1
The implant that you are asking about has a long history of successful use outside of the United States.  They are available in both round, smooth and textured varieties as well as textured shaped styles.  

In March of 2012, Sientra Corporation Silimed brand implants were made available in the US.  Sientra was the first company to obtain approval from the FDA for use of their shaped silicone gel implants.  These implants contain a silicone gel that is more cohesive, and has a slightly firmer feel than traditional smooth round silicone gel implants.  The manufacturer terms the silicone filler "HSC+" which stands for High Strength Cohesive +.  Round implants from this company contain a slightly less stiff and less cohesive implant that is filled with a gel simply called HSC.  We can consider the round implants to represent the "4th Generation" of silicone breast implants and the shaped implant the "5th Generation".

Focusing primarily on the Sientra Shaped HSC+ implants, they do appear to have notable differences from the offerings of other companies:  Allergan 410 and Mentor CPG implants.  These differences relate to variation in surface, filler, and shape options.

The surface texturing of the Sientra HSC+ implants is created by a technique that is different from other manufacturers by avoiding the process of scrubbing, salting or stamping the shell.  These methods of creating a rough surface on the shell (necessary to discourage rotation of these shaped devices) are thought by some to have significant negative effects.

Studies have shown that the differences in the amount and design of the cross-linking of the Silicone molecules comprising the silicone gel in the devices produced by the three silicone implant manufacturers leads to variations in several areas.  This research has indicated that the Sientra shaped implant had the least cohesive gel when compared to the Mentor CPG and Allergan 410 implant.  In the round implant version, the Allergan implant was the least cohesive and the Sientra round implant was the most cohesive.  It is important to understand that cohesiveness does impact the amount of wrinkling and capsular contracture rates of the implant:  lower rates of these events are seen with higher degrees of cohesiveness.  The untoward effect of higher cross-linking and cohesivity is a propensity to gel-fracture and excessive firmness.  Therefore a balance must be reached to achieve a soft, stable breast.  Sientra implants were constructed to do this by reducing the stiffness through less cross-linking, but maintaining the form stability by increasing adherence of the silicone gel to the implant shell.

Currently, Sientra HSC+ implants are available in 3 footprints:  Classic (taller with moderate projection), Round (less tall than the Classic with  high projection), and Oval (least tall with low, moderate, and high projection styles).  The classic base is preferred for women with long chest and low base of the breast.  The oval shape works better in women who want more cleavage with less upper pole fullness and in women with a wide chest and breast width.  Lastly, the round shape does a better job of expanding the lower part of the breast in women who want a smoother upper pole breast-chest transition; in women with a tight lower pole of the breast (constricted breasts), this is the best footprint to select.

Finally, contracture rates and rupture rates appear to be the lowest in these 5th generation shaped implants (from all manufacturers).  This realization has led to Sientra extending this belief in the longevity of the product in the form of their unique C3 capsular contracture warranty.  This provides coverage for two years from the date of the augmentation if the patient develops a Baker Grade III or IV contracture.  The patient is provided a free replacement implant if they develop this problem within this period.

Having attended preceptor training with the foremost US surgical authority in Sientra HSC+ implants, I can honestly say that these implants are truly game-changers.  They represent a quantum leap in technology and advance the art of breast augmentation in ways that US plastic surgeons could only dream of 2 years ago.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Implants - What You Should Know

+1
The Sientra breast implant is made of a high-strength, form-stable, silicone gel, and is similar to other "gummy bear" implants offered by Allergan and Mentor. The company offers a smooth or textured round implant, as well as a variety of anatomically shaped implants (all textured).  This variety, along with their excellent safety and performance record, is why many of us have chosen to add Sientra to our portfolio of breast implant options. Sientra is also the only breast implant manufacturer in the U.S. to offer a warranty program for capsular contracture. If a woman gets primary augmentation with Sientra True Texture implants and develops capsular contracture (Baker grade III or IV) within the first 2 years, the warranty covers implant replacement. The company also offers the best overall breast implant warranty in the industry, which, to me, says that they prioritize safety and quality and stand behind their product. The implants do have an excellent safety record, and some studies indicate that they have a reduced rate of capsular contracture and other complications. These implants have been used in Europe and other parts of the world for more than 30 years, with a remarkable record of safety and satisfaction. Having said all that, there may be another type of implant that is better for your particular physical characteristics and goals. A board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive breast augmentation experience is the best person to help you determine which breast implant is right for you. Good luck!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Cohesive Gel "Gummy Bear" Implants

+1
Sientra implants were approved by the FDA in early 2012, but have been the standard choice of plastic surgeons in Europe and South America for many years with a proven safety profile. Sientra implants are exclusively available only to board certified plastic surgeons.
Sientra offers cohesive gel implants in a variety of round and anatomical shaped sizes as well as smooth and textured surfaces. The cohesive gel implant is made from a form stable gel, rather than a liquid. If a cohesive implant was to develop a tear, the thick silicone form- stable gel prevents any rupture and will retain its shape.
The patented textured surface of the Sientra implants offers support and predictability during the placement of the implant and prevents potential migration of the implant over time.
During your consultation with your plastic surgeon it is important for you to discuss your goals of breast augmentation to help determine which type of implant will be suited for the best aesthetic outcome.

Scott Chapin, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

The Sientra Breast Augmentation Implant

+1
Sientra breast implants are gummy bear or cohesive gel breast implants that were the first to the United States in late 2012.

Breast augmentation, by necessity, requires the placement of breast implants. It is important to understand that there are various companies that make implants and the newest one is Sientra. Sientra distinguishes itself from the other companies by the following.
  • Sientra silicone gel breast implants or gummy bear implants have very high strength cohesive silicone gel with a "flat back design" to create an optimal shape on the chest wall, even if you have a round rib cage, irregular rib deformities or thin skin.
  • The top breast augmentation implant warrantee with every Sientra implant coming with a 10 year warranty, offering $3600 of financial assistance and coverage for both implants, in addition to complete size range changes at no additional charge.
  • Capsule contracture is always a concern with breast augmentation and if you get a capsule in the first two years after a breast augmentaion with Sientra breast implants, they will replace your implants.
  • The high strength cohesive gel or gummy bear implant is safe, feels very natural. Its shape mimics your breast tissue but retains its integrity even under extreme circumstances.
  • The Sientra implant has a 33 year record in Europe where it is sold by a company called Silimed. The safety profile is unparalleled.
  • Athough Sientra is a new name in the U.S., they have a 33-year track record of manufacturing excellence outside of the U.S. The implants are manufactured in Brazil by Silimed manufacturing.
  • Studies have shown that the complication and revision rates with Sientra implants are about the same as other silicone breast implants, but the incidence of wrinkling and capsular contracture rates are reduced.
  • These studies suggest that Sientra implants may be a good option for thin women who are prone to breast implant wrinkling.
  • Sientra implants do not require binding, special bras or massage. This makes them perfect for the 24 hour breast augmentation recovery program.
In short, in is an excellent breast augmentation choice your breast implants.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants

+1
There are some excellent answers below about breast implants from Sientra, Mentor and Allergan.  My input after performing breast augmentation and reconstruction for over 27 years is that Sientra provides an excellent breast implant with data proving it's safety.  Most of my patients today choose Sientra.  I have been very happy with them in regards to feel and appearance.  

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants Are Now Available in the US

+1
Sientra Breast Implants were approved by the FDA in March 2012 for use in the United States. They offer a more cohesive round implant and a cohesive shaped breast implant.  Although they are the newest implant available in the United States, they have been used worldwide for over 30 years and they have an excellent safety profile.  

Alan N. Larsen, MD

Information About Seintra Implants...

+1
Sientra implants are the newest implant approved by the FDA, but have a 35 year track record of international safety and are marketed as Silimed Implants outside the United States.Prior to Sientra approval there were only two silicone implant manufacturers, Allergan and Mentor.The differences between all three implant manufacturers are subtle, but Sientra does offer some unique value added policies and services.Unlike the two other manufacturers, Sientra’s implants are restricted for Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons only.It is well documented that patients who choose a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon for cosmetic surgery have a higher satisfaction rate than those that don’t.In addition, Sientra is the only company to offer a Capsular Contractor Care program for their textured round and shaped implants.The warranty covers free replacement implants when a primary augmentation patient requires revision surgery to correct a grade 3 or 4 capsular contracture.Their textured implants have been shown, in a large study, to have a lower rate of capsular contracture when compared to their smooth implants.Also, in my experience, when placed correctly, textured implants are less likely over time to bottom out and have malposition issues.

Michael A. Epstein, MD

Sientra Implant Quite Possibly Best Available

+1
The surgeons below state correctly the significance of different sizes, styles, and types (shaped vs. round).  In essence the real significance and differentiation is that Sientra is the first full line, both round and shaped that is of the highly cohesive gel.  Despite Allergan 410 and Mentor CPG having the market share, these companies were unable to get their highly cohesive gel implants approved.

Sientra is unique in that their silicone is sourced from a different company, has the most extensive warranty (both deflation and contracture); has round and shaped devices; and is possibly the one implant with the lowest complication risk as shown in study (of textured round gels).

To experience the full line of Sientra implants you must also go to a board certified plastic surgeon - i.e., the most highly skilled.  I have been an FDA co-investigator for the Allergan 410 device. And, I am part of the postoperative study with Sientra. I have placed hundreds of Gummy Bears from all three manufacturers offering the new implants. Today, I would say that Sientra's line is excellent with great shape and softness -  with an excellent safety profile and, in fact, a warranty. Impressive

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Implants

+1

Sientra implants are a highly cohesive silicone gel implants that were FDA approved in the United States in 2012.They are manufactured by Silimed and have been used in Europe for many years with a good safety and efficacy track record.They offer round and shaped implants that are offered in two textures; both smooth and textured.Currently Sientra is the only of the three FDA companies to offer a highly cohesive textured round implant.In my practice we have the ability to order implants from Sientra as well as Allergan and Mentor.All three companies offer slightly different sizes, shaped and textures. By offering my patients the opportunity to order from all three companies, it gives me and my patient the ability to choose the perfect size and texture for her individual needs.

Christopher T. Maloney Jr., MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon