I Am Only 19 and my Breasts Are Very Saggy Im a 36DD. Id Like a Lift, but Nervous About the Afterpain?

im 19 years old and my breasts sag like an older woman. they have for a while.. im a 36DD i was a 34C in 5th grade. ive always had larger breasts and it has made my back uncomfortable for a while now. i try to run to work them off but they just ache when i workout and i am afraid there is nothing that i can really do to get rid of them but a reduction. ive considered a reduction and lift..but i get nervous about pain. is the pain horrid? do you think i should get a lift and reduction?

Breast Reduction Discomfort

+1
Thanks for your question which is a very common one.  Surprisingly, most patients find this operation, whether a reduction or a breast lift, easier than they thought it was.  In selected patients, I find the need to liposuction the outer portion of the breast where it extends around the chest wall and this actually results in more discomfort than the surgical part  .Most patients will use narcotic pain medication for less than a week and then transition to tylenol or ibuprofen.  Definitely the happiest patient population in plastic surgery !

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Pain with breast reduction surgery

+1

It sounds like you are a very active individual and the size of your breasts is an impediment to your ability to do the things you want to do.  My happiest patients are my breast reduction patients who are SO glad to get rid of that weight that is pulling through their neck and shoulders.  As for recovery, everyone is different in that regard.  Some patients bounce into my office after surgery having never taken so much as a Tylenol.  Others are more uncomfortable.  There is no predicting as every patient is different.  Still, we do give you pain meds to help with your recovery.  In the long run, it sounds like it would be worth it for you, but only you can make that determination.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Pain level and breast reduction

+1

Surprisingly enough the pain level after breast reduction is very tolerable. Non of my breast reduction patients had ever complained about excessive pain. In fact, most of the time they experience immediate relief once the excess breast weight is removed.  The breast reduction includes a breast lift as it is design to remove the excess amount of tissue and reposition the nipple areola complex back into a natural place within the breast. Some other things to keep in mind while considering a breast reduction at a young age is the ability to breast feed  although most of the women that had surgery later in life would have done it earlier. Always look for a board certified plastic surgeon and good luck.

Humberto Palladino, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and lift

+1

Surprisingly patients do not have too much discomfort after breast reduction or lift surgery.  Most patients in my practice will say on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is the worst pain, they say it is about a 4.  Good luck.

Breast Reduction/Lifting Candidate?

+1

Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction/lifting surgery.  Neither operation is associated with a an inordanant amount of discomfort/pain postoperatively.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure. You may find the attached link helpful in this regard.

Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

A good way to get started would be to seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Ask to see lots of examples of  their work and communicate your goals clearly. Based on this communication, a surgical plan can be outlined.

Breast Sag in Youth

+1

Breast sag in young people can occur.    The vertical uplift or uplift-reduction is really a great procedure with minimal pain because the muscle is left untouched and the incision is vertical and around the areola only.  The old anchor  incision should only be done on massive breasts.  So decide whether you want to be lifted or lifted and made smaller and find a ABPS surgeon and talk it over.  I have done many 19  to 22 year old patients over the years and always spend plenty of time explaining the operation.  See some photos of incisions.  Usually healing is very favorable.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a lift and reduction?

+1

You'll need to see a board certified plastic surgeon to be certain that a breast reduction, which includes a breast lift is the right procedure for you. When the breasts are large and low and sagging breast reduction and lift is often the best choice. 

Interestingly, while all surgery is scary and of course there is some pain involved in any surgery this procedure is less painful than others because it is a skin and glandular operation.  Muscle operations tend to be more uncomfortable.

At your age getting as much information as you can from a board certified plastic surgeon and even from patients who have been through the procedure would be the best way to go. 

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon