Is 16 Too Young to Start Getting Botox?

Im turning 16 this year and I really would like to start getting botox. I have a little wrinkle on each side of my mouth and a couple tiny ones on my forehead. They arent noticeable, but i know they are there and it bothers me. Are there any doctors that would give a 16 year old botox? I live in Scottsdale,Arizona.

Teenagers and Botox

+1
Teenagers are not appropriate candidates for Botox.  If you are using sun avoidance and proper skin care then you are doing what is appropriate for someone your age.

Botox for 16 year old

+1

For purely cosmetic reasons, botox is inappropriate for a 16 year old. Once you go down this road you will end up as cosmetic surgery addict. Ensure that you are pursuing the proper path of skin care and avoid potential problems such as tobacco use and tanning beds. You will be amazed what these simple steps will do to optimize your appearance both now and in the future.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botullinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) in a 16 year old

+1

If you are doing every thing else to maintain your apperance including avoidance of sun exposure ( no tanning beds, no tobacco use) good skin care, etc, I can't logically or ethically recommend this for a 16 year old and I can't imagine how your wrinkles could be that bad at your age.

Botox at sixteen years old?

+1

I don't feel Botox is an appropriate treatment for your current concerns and age.  Personally, I worry about encouraging cosmetic procedures in people whose bodies are still growing and changing, and don't recommend, or perform, most such procedures in young adults.  I would be VERY wary of the motivations of a physician that would be willing to treat you.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Teens

+1

Recently, an interesting trend has come about in the field of facial plastics. Younger and younger patients are requesting facial injectables such as Botox, Restylane etc.. Although this may seem absurd there is method to what can be seen as madness. It goes something like this; if one prevents wrinkles before they start they will be able to lessen or even avoid more serious work as they grow older. Nonetheless,16 is considered to be far too young for a patient to start getting Botox. For someone at such a young age I would only recommend that Botox be used if the patient had conditions such as blepharospasms (eye spasms) or excessive perspiration. If, however, the patient still desires to go ahead with Botox for cosmetic reasons parental consent must be obtained.

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is not for a sixteen year old

+1

You may develop many more lines in the future that are more noticable. Some (a minority) of patients not that after many years of treatment the Botox doesn't last as long. Don't start using your possible limited time of Botox effectiveness by starting so  young. Even if you find a doctor who would be willing to do it, I suggest you wait a decade or so. Use sunscreen every day, try to get a good night's sleep, exercise and eat a healthy diet. Use moisturizer for the facial lines and don't look too closely at your skin.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Yes, 16 is too young to get Botox

+1

The dynamic aging changes which lead to a patient seeking treatment with Botox are simply not present in a 16 year old.  Will you be able to find a "Doctor" to give it to you?  Unfortunately, you might.  What I would recommend is discussing your concerns with your parents, a therapist, or a responsible adult.  The concerns you have are probably more related to poor self image and lack of self confidence. At age 16, self confidence will make you look much better than Botox ever will.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox should not be given to teenagers

+1

Your question "is there a doctor that will give botox to a sixteen year old?" should be answered with

"i hope not."

I would suggest discussing your dislike of your appearance with your parents and those that love you as you will realize quickly that small wrinkles are on your forehead are what make you beautiful.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

No

+1

You are 16 - enjoy life -- earn a few wrinkles that can be seen -- how do you expect to pay for the botox. If I were your parent I would tell you to get a life. Then you will need botox.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Botox Treatment of Invisible wrinkles in a 16 year old

+1

A 16 year old girl with invisible wrinkles (to quote you :"They arent noticeable, but i know they are there and it bothers me") seeking Botox perfection.

Your question totally blew me away. While I am an educated middle aged man who is fluent in several languages and have lived on three continents, I am painfully reminded every day that my society has permanently changed. I know being a teenager is rough but it should not cause wrinkles and requests for Botox.

Will "a doctor" give YOU Botox? Probably. Doctors have a small number of unethical jerks in their ranks just like all other profession and the poor economy has lowered the threshold of misbehavior for many. Will an ETHICAL Plastic surgeon / Dermatologist treat you with Botox? I seriously doubt it.

A discussion with your parent(s) is in order as well as potentially a referral to a psychologist to help you with your body image.