I Am 13 and Am Going to Have Miradry Procedure?

I'm 13 years old and have been sweating profusely since I was 5. I saw a dermatologist and plan on having the miradry procedure sometime soon (next 3 weeks). I've found a few other dermatologists in the Chicagoland area who would do the procedure on me regardless of my age. I'm curious about a few things: 1. the pain (I know I'll have lidocaine). I have a low pain tolerance. 2. Down time I'll experience. I do taekwondo weekly and have very hard workouts.

Miradry pain level

+1

Miradry is a tolerable procedure that requires local anesthetic to numb the skin of the axilla.  Patients will experience some downtime with armpit swelling, but this should subside relatively quickly.Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Minimal downtime after miraDry treatment

+1

MiraDry is approved for patients 18 years of age and older.  That doesn't necessarily mean that miraDry would be unsafe in teenagers younger than 18, but that it has not been studied in that age group.  MiraDry requires only local anesthesia, which consists of a series of lidocaine injections.  To enhance patient comfort, we numb the armpits with a topical cream to minimze the sensation of any needle sticks from the lidocaine injections.  MiraDry is associated with minimal to no downtime and patients may resume their normal activities on the same day of treatment.  Expected treatment side effects may include swelling and bruising.  A few, rare cases of temporary altered sensation have been reported, with all instances of altered sensation resolving on their own. 

Web reference: http://www.advanceddermatologypc.com/miradry.html

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Miradry - miracle procedure with high satisfaction rate

+1

The most uncomfortable part of having miraDry procedure is actually injection of lidocaine in the underarm area, however we are using special very tiny needles that will insure minimum discomfort for the patient.  On top of it you can also ask your doctor to put ice under your arms before injection of anesthetic which will help to ease that needle prick. Once your underarm area is numbed you should feel nothing during the procedure.  As far as downtime post miraDry, we are able to greatly reduce it by giving our patients prescription strength Arnica Montana.  This homeopathic capsules and also topical gel enable most of our patients return to their activities in couple of days.  These extra steps make all the difference in the experience and recovery from miraDry procedure. Although FDA approval does not include teenagers I thig this procedure will be beneficial at that age for hyerhydrosis sufferers  

Web reference: http://drturowski.com/miradry-chicago.html

MiraDry treatment for age 17 or under

+1

MiraDry treatment is approved by FDA to treat hyperhidrosis for age 18 and above. Utilization of MiraDry for teenagers age 17 or under would be considered off-label and is something that our center has done on a couple occasions. The discomfort is minimal other than the initial local anesthesia infiltration with Lidocaine. We may start out with more conservative energy protocol for younger patients for the first treatment and increase energy threshold upon second treatment 3 months later.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/Excess_Sweating_82Y4.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry and pain

+1

If you want to do TaeKwonDo or whatever, you will know. There is no problem (contraindication) to do that and if you have no discomfort, you can do that. There is nothing you can do to hurt the procedure. But, it will be sore and I think for a week or so, you are not likely to want to do anything physical like TaeKwonDo. 

Web reference: http://www.AdvanceYourBeauty.com

Buffalo General Surgeon