12 Days Post Op, Have Pleats on my Incision, Will They Need Revision? (photo)

I weigh 117, did not have a pouch/apron, so there wasn't much to work with. I believe its why I'm on day 12 and still walk hunched over. I wonder if I'm going to likely be needing a revision due to the pleats on the ends of the incisions. Also, where the old belly button is fitted into the TT incision looks a bit haphazard, and there are vertical pleats which crease upwards from the source of that. I am happy that I have a new belly button, and I'd trade my old belly for a crazy scar any day.

Contour irregularities along the incision after abdominoplasty usually resolve with time.

+2

I think the contour irregularities will completely smooth out with time. However there appears to be too small dogears which probably will not.

Irregularity after tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+2

All the irregularities along your suture lines will settle over time.  You should go on to have an excellent result.  Scar tapes (silicone strips such as mepiform) and moisturizers, along with some scar massage, will help move things along.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Tummy tuck closure can pleat

+2

Thanks for your question and pic. You look great at this early date. Everything should soften and smooth out. You can massage the scar to expedite things. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Pleating of the scar following an abdominoplasty

+2

These pleats are very common and are due to the upper incision being longer than the lower incision.  A common plastic surgical trick is arrange the skin to prevent a bunching at the end. These pleats will go down over the first 6 months or so.  Just massage and give it time. 

Tummy Tuck Revison

+2

It will be months before you see the final result.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for your best result!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Tummy tuck revision

+2

Since it's only been a few days from your surgery, you should wait several more months to see your final results.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Pleats on Abdominoplasty Incision 12 Days after Surgery

+2

Based on your pictures, your result in not unusual. It takes a few months for swelling to resolved and the skin to adjust. There is no point in judging the results after only 12 days. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Concerns about Incision Line after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

Although your concerns are understandable, you should have peace of mind that ( based on the pictures you have posted)  your plastic surgeon has done a very nice job for you. Pleats and other irregularities along the  incision lines generally smoothing out nicely with time. I would suggest continued patience and continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes; it is very likely that you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Pleats after tummy tuck

+2

Relax, those pleats should go away. They appear more prominent now because of the swelling. Follow your surgeon's instructions.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Pleats In My Tummy Tuck Incision

+1

Dear Rubix,  Trying to judge the results of a tummy tuck twelve days after surgery is very difficult.  From your photos, it appears your plastic surgeon achieved a very nice result but those results are often hard for the patient to see at this early stage of recovery because of swelling and bruising.  As the swelling resolves and the tissues remodel, those pleats that concern you are most likely to disappear and the smooth final incision line will appear.  

As always, if you have a question about your surgery and your results, please make your first call to your plastic surgeon who knows you best and can give you both the reassurance you need and a more accurate timeline for when you will see you final results.  So far, looks good. 

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon