Is 10 Units of Botox Per Side Too Much for Crows Feet?

I am in my early thirties and I do not get regular botox. I don't have any lines around my eyes at all unless I smile. The first time I got botox was 2 years ago and the doctor only gave me 5 units per side and it looked fine. When I went in 2 weeks ago, he gave me 10 units per side. Is that too much for someone my age? It's only been 2 years, and honestly I don't think I have aged that much.

Botox for crow's feet

+2

10-12 units of Botox per side represent a typical treatment for crowsfeet.  I think the best time to start treating areas is before permanent creases form in the skin.  In cases of poor outcomes after Botox, it is typically the result of placing the medicine into the wrong muscle groups rather then using too many units.

Hope this helps.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and crows feet

+1

The average number of units for crows feet is 25-30 units. If 5 units work for you then this is all you need. The higher dose will usually last longer, but you should use the minimal amount necessary to get the look you want.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

There's some confusion here...botox works on the crow's feet which aren't necessarily

+1

the same thing as your smile lines...the smile lines to the side of your eyes result from raising the cheek muscles...but botox works on the muscles encircling the eyes...there's a big difference...try this simple experiment...smile for a moment and then while then squint you're still smiling...see the difference...so if the 5 units of botox worked well for the squint, that maybe enough and the rest will be wasted...it all depends if you were happy the first time...if you were, then 5 units is perfect...if not then you need more...for those with significant creases in the area, you might need an average of 11 units or so per side...but remember...it works for the crow's feet and not the cheek...

Ken Landow, MD

Botox for crow's feet - how much

+1

For crow's feet, I use anywhere from 6 to 16 units per side, with an average dose of 9-12 units per side.  Six units per side is reserved for people that barely have any crow's feet, even when smiling broadly.  Sixteen units per side is for people that have crows feet that go up to the temples and down the cheeks.  Nine to twelve units per side works well for most people, who are in between.

Remember, also, that higher dosages typically last longer than lower dosages.

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Is 10 units of botox too much to treat the side of an eye? No.

+1

I typically use 10-20 units of botox to treat each side of the eye without any problems.

Charles Crutchfield, MD
Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox dosage for crow's feet

+1

The amount of Botox required depends on the movement of your muscles.  10 units per side is average and will probably last longer than 5 units would.  Botox treatments can prevent crow's feet from ever developing so it is a good idea to start early.  Make sure you are treated by an experienced injector.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

10 units of Botox for crows feet is NOT too much!

+1

Dear Patient,

10 units of Botox per side is definitely not too much. Dosages may vary between 10 - 20 units per side. It all depends on your muscle activity and the number of lines you have.

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Botox dose for eyes

+1

All good feedback from panel members.  10 units per eye area is a very standard dose for most.  Although you are still quite young, the "recipe" is determined by muscle action at the time of the treatment regardless of age.  Much may change in the two years since you had your first dose at 5 units each side.  If you tend to animate mostly around the eyes, then 10 units is not unreasonable. 

Your final decision on your treatment plan should be determined by the end result and duration.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

+1

Ten units of Botox to each Crow's feet would be an average dose.  Patients will require more or less Botox to achieve the desired results.  Be sure that the MD that does your Botox understands and follows the proper aesthetics of  facial beauty.