Is 10 Units of Botox Per Side Too Much for Crows Feet?

I am in my early thirties and I do not get regular botox. I don't have any lines around my eyes at all unless I smile. The first time I got botox was 2 years ago and the doctor only gave me 5 units per side and it looked fine. When I went in 2 weeks ago, he gave me 10 units per side. Is that too much for someone my age? It's only been 2 years, and honestly I don't think I have aged that much.

Botox for crow's feet

10-12 units of Botox per side represent a typical treatment for crowsfeet.  I think the best time to start treating areas is before permanent creases form in the skin.  In cases of poor outcomes after Botox, it is typically the result of placing the medicine into the wrong muscle groups rather then using too many units.

Hope this helps.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox dosage for crows feet

Both dosages are reasonable.  We know that higher doses of neurotoxins give you more effect, but also more duration.  So it may have been that the increase was coincidental, or motivated by an attempt for improved effect and/or duration.  A national consensus panel suggested 5-15 units per side a few years ago, so you are right where you are supposed to be.  But you need to be involved in such changes in treatment, so either ask your doc about why you were increased, or make sure you discuss this before your next injection.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Much Botox for Crow's Feet

The amount of Botox that I give for crow's feet depends on how severe the lines are.  In a young patient with early or mild lines, I might give 5 or 7.5 units per side.  In someone with more obvious crow's feet, I usually give 10 units per side and sometimes slightly more. It would be rare for me to give more than 12.5 units per side.

5 units per side is definitely on the low end but it can work for people with mild lines.  I would say that 10 units per side is fairly typical and works well for most people.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

That's the average

Do you like your results? If you do, then 10 units was probably not too much. In fact, 10 units is a typical quantity administered for this concern. Enjoy your results!

There's some confusion here...botox works on the crow's feet which aren't necessarily

the same thing as your smile lines...the smile lines to the side of your eyes result from raising the cheek muscles...but botox works on the muscles encircling the eyes...there's a big difference...try this simple for a moment and then while then squint you're still smiling...see the if the 5 units of botox worked well for the squint, that maybe enough and the rest will be all depends if you were happy the first time...if you were, then 5 units is perfect...if not then you need more...for those with significant creases in the area, you might need an average of 11 units or so per side...but works for the crow's feet and not the cheek...

Ken Landow, MD

Is 10 units of botox too much to treat the side of an eye? No.

I typically use 10-20 units of botox to treat each side of the eye without any problems.

Charles Crutchfield, MD
Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox dosage for crow's feet

The amount of Botox required depends on the movement of your muscles.  10 units per side is average and will probably last longer than 5 units would.  Botox treatments can prevent crow's feet from ever developing so it is a good idea to start early.  Make sure you are treated by an experienced injector.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

10 units of Botox for crows feet is NOT too much!

Dear Patient,

10 units of Botox per side is definitely not too much. Dosages may vary between 10 - 20 units per side. It all depends on your muscle activity and the number of lines you have.

Botox dose for eyes

All good feedback from panel members.  10 units per eye area is a very standard dose for most.  Although you are still quite young, the "recipe" is determined by muscle action at the time of the treatment regardless of age.  Much may change in the two years since you had your first dose at 5 units each side.  If you tend to animate mostly around the eyes, then 10 units is not unreasonable. 

Your final decision on your treatment plan should be determined by the end result and duration.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Ten units of Botox to each Crow's feet would be an average dose.  Patients will require more or less Botox to achieve the desired results.  Be sure that the MD that does your Botox understands and follows the proper aesthetics of  facial beauty.