Fractional CO2 Laser, the new Gold Standard for Laser Resurfacing
Article by William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon
Micro Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing is the new gold standard in skin resurfacing that is safe for most skin types delivering dramatic ablative clinical results with minimal discomfort. It is #1 Antiaging Breakthrough according to WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/top-6-antiaging-breakthroughs)
- Outperforms any non-CO2 based laser and device
- Powerfully reverses years of skin aging, wrinkles, sun spots
- Dramatically reduces old acne and trauma related scarring
- Significantly minimizes risk of future development of skin cancers
- Effectively decreases dyschromia such as freckles and melasma
The old CO2 Laser Resurfacing had been the prior gold standard in skin resurfacing for the past couple decades as it achieved unparallel smoothness and reduction of wrinkle that no other modality can match. However, it has fallen out of favor because of significant pain requiring general anesthesia and substantial down time with the complexion appearing bloody raw for at least couple weeks.
The Fractional or Fractionated technology delivers the CO2 laser energy in a pixel like fashion where microscopic holes are punched into the skin right next to each other via computer-generated pattern. This fractionated CO2 laser technology delivers microscopic columns of 10600nm CO2 laser energy across the skin barrier, penetrating small percentage of skin surface area right next to each other. The other non-ablated skin surface areas facilitate faster healing. Fractionated erbium based lasers have the right idea of fractionated laser delivery but with the wrong wavelengths thus requiring multiple treatments and inferior clinical outcome compared with ONE treatment of fractional CO2 laser technology. A recent study confirmed that the fractional CO2 deep dermal ablation resulted in collagen remodeling for at least three months after treatment, as determined by immunohistochemical analysis of heat shock proteins.
As a result, Micro Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing achieves true resurfacing efficacy with comfort:
- Simply outperforms any non-CO2 based laser and device for skin rejuvenation
- Relatively short downtime, typically 4-6 days
- Minimal discomfort as only topical anesthetics needed for most individuals; mild sedation for additional comfort available for patients with transportation
- Safe and effective for virtually all skin surface areas including face, neck, chest, back, arms and hands
- Potentially may pay for the procedure itself with less need of fillers for wrinkles and age lines, not to mention much less risk of skin cancers
- May be eligible for employers' medical flexible spending account depending pre-existing medical condition, e.g. psychosocial detriment of acne scarring, actinic damage with prior history of skin cancer.
- Cosmetic appearance may continue to improve with stimulation of collagen production up to 6 months after procedure.
You should look for a board-certified dermatologist who understands wound healing and preferably has done at least 100 cases of your skin type and has a team-approach involving educated and caring staff to review pre-op and post-op care instructions. If your consultation does not involve discussion of possible complications and steps to minimize them, you should look elsewhere.