50 Year Old Perimenopausal Female, Had Coolscultping on Flanks - Winston Salem, NC

Before I had my procedure 6 days ago, I read...

Before I had my procedure 6 days ago, I read numerous reviews of Coolsculpting on this site and it helped alleviate a lot of my anxiety. I hope my review will do the same for others. A bit about me: I am 50 years old, work out every week and eat fairly healthily. But since the whole menopause thing started two years ago, my shape has definitely changed. My waist is thicker now and my flanks (upper hips just below my waist) are larger/fattier. Nothing really major, but enough that it's noticeable in all my clothes. And I haven't been able to reduce the fat in that area no matter how much I work out or how little I eat. It is very frustrating, to say the least! Hence, my decision to try Coolsculpting.

The procedure itself was a cakewalk as far as I'm concerned. No pain at all, just the aggressive pulling they describe when the suction begins and then the cold. It was a bit uncomfortable, about a rate of 2 out of 10, maybe 3 tops. The massage afterwards was a bit more uncomfortable because you're sore and tender, but overall I wouldn't say it was painful. The dreaded "pins and needles/itching/burning" feelings that some people experience, I didn't have either. Maybe a few pinpricks here and there, but those sensations tend to come and go very quickly - nothing consistent. No swelling so far, just the tenderness I mentioned previously. I will say that the plastic surgeon who did my procedure told me that the flanks are probably the least painful, definitely more so than the abdomen.

I specifically went to a plastic surgeon that has been doing this procedure since it was approved many years ago. She was exceptionally knowledgeable and accommodating. I initially wanted to try Vanquish, but she told me that procedure wouldn't work on the type of fat that I have. Vanquish is more expensive, and I really appreciated her honesty. She could have done that procedure instead and made more money!

Of course at this point I can't see a difference since it's only been a few days, but I will continue to post updates as things progress. I don't expect to lose a whole lot as far as weight or even inches, but even a 20-25% reduction would be enough for me to feel like it was worth it!

Six Days Later....

A few new developments. Nothing major, but I did wake up a little swollen this morning and I'm experiencing a mild burning sensation. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate it a 1 or 2. My flanks feel a little more tender as well. I'm not sure if that's any indication that it's working or not, but it would make sense because inflammation is a side effect of cryolipolysis (freezing of the fat cells).

My only concern right now is that my left side is having more of a reaction than my right. I think it may be because the applicator was placed about 2 inches higher on the right side and the machine didn't pull in as much fat. I don't know if that was a mistake, or if she just felt like a higher position would be better for some reason. She did mention that I had less fat on that side, so maybe that's why. In any event, I may get the right side done a second time if I don't see the same results as the left (would be terrible to be lopsided!) I read it's best to schedule a second session within the first 30-60 days, so I obviously will have to wait several weeks before that can be done.

I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself. I can be borderline OCD at times and it's hard not to obsess about it. Fingers crossed that it will work out just fine and I won't need a second session. I really don't want to spend any more money on this, although I have to say I did get a good deal as far as price.

Day 9

So.....LOTS of swelling now. I drink between 80 and 120 oz. of water a day which I thought would help with that, but no such luck. After researching it I found that the swelling is due to inflammation, which is a GOOD thing and means it's working, so I'm not gonna complain. I read that the swelling normally lasts a couple of days; I hope that is the case! I plan to wear my "fat" clothes all weekend because I have no plans, so that works out well. However I have a big meeting and event next Tuesday and I'm really hoping the swelling will have gone down by then. I look a bit odd since it's my flanks that are swollen and it makes me look misshapen, but it's not that noticeable unless I'm wearing no clothes, lol. It's only a few inches so it's easily hidden by my clothes. I just can't wear anything fitted until the swelling goes down.

Will keep posting.....

As far as pain, really haven't had any to speak of, just a little tenderness and a few pinprick sensations. Other than that, I've been able to get back to my normal daily routine with no problem.

I will try and post pics this weekend; I know that is helpful to anyone considering this procedure!

2 weeks tomorrow

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since I had my procedure and I'm STILL swollen! Not real thrilled about that but at least the swelling isn't significant. It's about an inch on each side to give you an idea. (I took pics and tried to add them this past weekend, but I couldn't get them uploaded for some reason). Oh well, can't really complain about much else since I've had virtually no pain....just swelling, soreness and a little numbness. I sure do hope this works!

I had my procedure done 3 weeks tomorrow and I can already tell a difference. It's slight, but enough that I can tell a difference in the way my clothes fit. I am THRILLED! They say it takes at least 8 weeks, and preferably 3 months, before you can really tell if it's worked or not. Even though I was on vacation last week and didn't work out or even watch what I ate, my clothes fit looser in the hips/flanks. YAY!!!!

6 week update

Six weeks since my procedure and I can definitely see a difference now. No one else may notice, but I can tell my clothes fit a lot better which is what I wanted. I'm going to wait another month or so before deciding if I want a second treatment. My flanks are smaller now, however there is still a small amount I'd like to get rid of, about an inch on each side. I'm not sure if that's enough fat for the machine to be able to suck in though. I'm also trying to watch what I eat and work out 5 times a week so maybe that will do it. I would like to lose 5-10 lbs. In any case, I can definitely say I am happy with my coolsculpting results and would do it again in a heartbeat!
Winston-Salem Dermatolory and Plasti Surgery Center

Winston-Salem Dermatology and Surgery Center was wonderful. The individual who did my consultation did the procedure as well. She was both knowledgeable and accommodating. I would go back in a heartbeat!