A Long Long Time Ago...I Can Still Remember.....Winnipeg, MB

How that surgery made me cry. And I knew if I had...

This reviewer is affiliated with RealSelf. The views expressed here are their own and do not reflect the views of RealSelf, Inc.

How that surgery made me cry. And I knew that if I had my chance that I would feel better in my pants and maybe I could be happy all the while. But February made me shiver... when I thought about those scissors....ok... enough of the Don McLean American Pie parody, here is my story:

After my first born things changed down below -- the skin stretched and I felt very uncomfortable and embarrassed that it was so saggy, and I felt like it got in the way during intercourse. It bothered me so much that I spoke to my family doctor. At that time, I never imagined anything could be done. I explained the situation to my doctor, and she comforted me by explaining how common this issue was for women, explaining that it could easily be fixed and she arranged a referral to a specialist - Dr. Lockwood. I was so relieved and all the embarrassment I felt instantly went away. It was a burden lifted to know that I wasn't the only one. At the time when I had my surgery, the Trim method was the only available option that I was aware of. I had the surgery under general anesthetic, I wouldn't have done it any other way - the only downside was I get sick from the anesthetic. I was picked up that afternoon and I felt just fine...I arrived at home and the freezing wore off, I recall the pain -- it was intense, almost like I was on fire between my legs and I could hardly walk. It hurt so bad that I thought something was wrong. I remember this day so well because of the intensity of the pain. I went into the bathroom and had a look down below and I remember it was so swollen and looked an olive green color with blood. I was terrified and thought "what have I done"!! I cried so hard, and my husband did all he could to comfort me. I remember him reading a book to me in bed as I curled up in a fetal position rocking side to side trying to ease the pain with ice between my legs. I followed up with my doctor who assured me the pain was normal and unless there was heavy bleeding not to worry. Within a few days, the pain subsided and I was able to resume light normal activities, however, I did so a little too soon and went to work, my stitches tore and it started to bleed. I immediately went to the hospital where they had a look and gave me a very unpleasant needle for freezing so they could fix the stitches. I have read that they don't fix stitches once you are in the healing stage, but they did for me...shrug. My end result, it looks pretty good, and overall I am happy with my result. Labiaplasty has come a long way since my time and I would have loved to have had the wedge option as I understand it's less painful and a more natural result. I totally think the surgery is worth it if you have a lot of excess skin and just don't feel comfortable down there.

Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

Amazing Doctor, approachable and friendly. He listens to all your concerns and genuinely cares - you certainly feel like you have been heard. I have had two surgeries with Dr. Lockwood, and I would highly recommend him.