32 Years Old, Rhinoplasty - Wayne, PA

I am writing this day 3 post-op, so I'll back up a...

I am writing this day 3 post-op, so I'll back up a little. I have been insecure about my nose all of my life. Large noses run in my family and I have never felt as attractive as I wanted. It wasn't the worst nose ever, but I really struggled with it and couldn't let go of the fact that I wished it was better suited to my face. Reviewing pictures was always disappointing for me. After years and years of friends telling me I look beautiful as-is, I put off making a change out of fear of what friends, family and coworkers would think. Finally, with the support of my mom and fiancee, I decided to get over fearing what people would think about me and went through with it. I would love it if no one noticed that I did it, but mostly I'm just excited to feel better about my nose! As my mom said, "Hey, you only live once...do what makes you happy."

So, the nose. From the front, not smiling, I actually liked the shape. But I hated my profile and the front when I smiled — due to it's size, it dipped down a lot and it seemed to take over my face. I have a hump and, overall, it's just a bit too big for my face.

After much research, I went with Dr. Pontell in Wayne, PA. I loved the imaging he came up with for my new nose. Just a better version of what I already had, nothing crazy. I really loved his vision for the new shape...it felt so much prettier...including getting rid of the hump, and taking a bit off of the tip so that it didn't dip down so low from the side, or when I smiled in the front. Otherwise, I wanted to keep the front pretty much the same because my biggest fear was being unrecognizable.

As I mentioned, I actually went through with the surgery on Thursday. Today is day 3 and I'm congested beyond belief. I was in a good amount of pain and taking pain killers every 4 hours after the surgery and yesterday, but now it's just the congestion that's bothering me. I really don't have any bruising and have minimal swelling compared to other reviewers on here. I can tell my nose is shorter than it was, but it's just so hard to get a true idea of what i look like with all of the bandages and my exhausted, puffy eyes. Has anyone else dealt with the incredible congestion? It kind of makes you feel like you're suffocating because it adds so much pressure behind your face. I've been trying to take mini walks and not just lay around all day. It's not comfortable healing, but hey, I wanted this so I've gotta suck it up!
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

I will fill in more here later...I'm so tired. But, Dr. Pontell and his staff have been wonderful. He's so accessible and called me later in the day after my surgery to check in. I'm still looking forward to seeing how my nose will look.