Smart Lipo - So Far Good - Waltham, MA

I am 24 years old and I gained about 15-20 pounds...

I am 24 years old and I gained about 15-20 pounds since I graduated from college. My lowest weight was during my sophomore-junior year in college at 133 pounds. Since then, I've gone up to 154 pounds (on day of surgery).

I got smart lipo done on my upper and lower abs as well as my flanks on Friday, April 22. On day of surgery, I was extremely nervous. I took halcion, codene, cephlex, and other anxiety drugs. The RN also took my vitals and the doctor gave me a shot to prevent nausea after the procedure. I relaxed while the drugs set in, but my anxiety got to me and I didn't feel anything.

After about 30 minutes, I was brought into the OR, and scrubbed. I remember feeling calmer at this point. The doctor gave me lidocaine shots (which was manageable) and made his incisions. The worst part was the administration of the tumescent fluid. There was some burning and pinching but the pain was tolerable. The laser was a piece of cake! It felt like a really good massage. The suction was okay for me as well. I felt that my lower abs was easier than the upper and flanks. The flanks were the hardest part - it was difficult for me to relax because there was pinching every now and then but the doctor was very good about checking my reactions and adding more tumescent fluid. Overall, the procedure was not painful. There was just some pressure here and there which made things uncomfortable.

I honestly cannot remember how the surgery ended. My surgery started at 930am and I was out by 1pm. I woke up at home at 7pm. I was not in any pain, and I was able to go out to dinner with friends that night.

Today marks my 72 hours post op - I am going into the doctor's office today for my first check up. I do feel sore but only when I try to get up and about. This is definitely not a lunchtime procedure and it is important to take it easy for a few days. After 24 hours, I stayed in and walked around the house (lots of laundry!). I also took a shower and washed my dressings. After 48 hours, I went out grocery shopping. I noticed that the pain is minimal when I am doing other activities. My stomach is still very tender and numb but this is getting better daily. I am also applying arnica gel while massaging the lumps, and starting to rub vaseline on the incisions.

The draining has been manageable, and I have no noticeable bruising. I have been taking arnica montana pills and I highly recommend this! I definitely have swelling but so far I really like the results! The compression garments are another story, unfortunately. I already cannot wait to be out of them! I am also really itchy! I've read that this is normal and applying Cortisone has helped.

I will be sure to update as I progress. So far, I am really pleased and excited for my results!!

I am 24 years old and I gained about 15-20 pounds...

First day at work. Still very sore and feeling...

First day at work. Still very sore and feeling more swollen than ever! I weighed myself yesterday and I've gained 6 pounds. Also, all of my pants are too small! I am hoping the swelling goes down soon!

The compression garment is really starting to get to me! I also don't know how much longer I can sleep on my back!

Photo Update

One week since the procedure and I am in less pain...

One week since the procedure and I am in less pain. It is still difficult to get my body moving but much of the tender and numbness are gone! I am concerned bc the swelling has moved done to my pubic area. I also look much bigger than 24 hours post op. I did read that you get bigger before getting smaller so I am crossing my fingers!

Also, I'm officially off all pain pills and antibiotics. I don't know if I should continue to take the arnica pills. Also should I bandage my incisions? I did one day and the incisions turned a pale yellow which scared me. Should I apply neosporin or anything?

I am just a day under my two weeks and I cannot...

I am just a day under my two weeks and I cannot wait because this means bye bye compression garment!

I am doing very well! My figure is definitely slimmer and much of the swelling is gone. I am still sore in places but the massages have been helping.

~1 year update (quick update with pics) - lumpy on...

~1 year update (quick update with pics) - lumpy on the sides, which is more noticeable when you look at the back side, but went into the dr office today and he is going to touch up for $500. touch up surgery is scheduled for apr 12.
Newton Physician

Very wonderful and accommodating staff. I have yet to make a final decision on the results.